Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: WARNING: Worst movie EVER!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 01:34 PM
doze905
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sh944
[B]Okay, well, if thats the case, using your logic, then what gives you the right to tell me I am wrong? "

when did I tell you where wrong? the only thing said was you were close minded.

"Dude, its my opinion, and I assume you are smart enough to use that information however you see fit. If you aren't smart enough to figure that out, then sorry, I can't help you... "

the way you wrote the first post you were not giving your opinion for others to make a decision you were trying to make up there minds for them.

"For what its worth, I also assume that what you have posted is YOUR opinion, which you are more than entitled to have, and I will respect that, even if I disagree with your perspective. I stand by my original comment..."

and if you read my post I never said my opinion, you need to read over post better before you respond to them.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:36 PM
schlag
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by sh944
Hey Schlag, I am glad you responded! Help me out here... I wasn't expecting "Happy Gilmore, Part II", but I am lost as to what the purpose of the movie was, and since you apprarently "got it", maybe you can help clarify it for me. Was it supposed to be a parody of "Fellini-esque" movies, or what? The whole message can't be that "mentally challenged people need love too" which is about as good as I can come up with. What was it that the "art" crowd got out of it, because I completely missed it.
It's not a fable, there's no real moral of the story besides perhaps "there's someone for EVERYONE, really!!"

To me it was primarily a surreal character study of Sandler's Egan and secondarily a fairly dark/odd love story. The things going around him were a lot like what was going on in his head. I'm not sure about mental illness but he definitely was a strange character; what's scary is that I've actually met people exactly like him. He's not a character you're meant to relate to, just observe and at times feel pity for. If it was a parody of anything, it was a parody of Sandler's past characters and past films, an expansion of the nervousness and pitifulness of his personality. If you think about it, Punch-drunk Love is a bit like a "normal" Adam Sandler film if it were first sent to Hell and back.

I found the surrealism to be quite charming - from well-timed random occurances, to the camerawork, to the way the soundtrack sometimes drowned out the dialogue in the strangest ways. The theme of paranoia and "on-edge" was also something I found interesting.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:40 PM
schlag
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Brian McCoy
Yup, that was it... what a waste of time on my part (but a LOT of people really liked it). Movies I do like... well, can't remember the last new one that really made an impact. Favorites are Shawshank Redemtption, most anything made by Stanley Kubrick and a few other randoms. I appreciate films that have well put together visuals (Matrix/ Lord of the rings type stuff). The rest I just kinda sit through and try not to ruin for my fiance (she loves movies, I love to rip them appart while watching them ~ especially the Really predictable ones which is most everything these days).

One film I loved but haven't really found many others who share the feeling was 'Being John Malcovich' ~ rented it based on a Netflix recomendation having no clue what it was and absolutly loved the movie. Muholland Drive fits in there too come to think of it....
Interesting.

Kubrick films are awesome, I agree wholeheartedly.

I have not seen Being John Malkovich, it's one of those movies I've been meaning to see. I did however see Adaptation which is by the same director, which is a fantastic fantastic film.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:44 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

reeeawwrrrrrr (cat noise)

man, cant we just agree to disagree!!??

heres a couple from the top of my list for worst movies:

Joyride - HORRIBLE movie. i wasn't scared at all, kind of bored and a little annoyed.

Abandon - SNOOZEFEST. the flashback scenes were kind of hard to get (maybe i'm just slow, but i doubt it) and the whole storyline was kind of dumb. i really just didnt get into it i suppose.

John D. - perhaps a separate forum for movie critics?

-Michael-
Old 08-11-2003, 01:46 PM
schlag
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Perry 951
I am still puzzled by the jeep that flipped and that damn organ/piano whatever it's called. What the hell was that? Why was it there? Who put it there? Lots of little things like that.
Mainly to create mood (the same way a facial expression, or a whisper, can in other situations) and symbolize the ridiculous paranoia and dissonance inside the head of the main character.

Why/who put it there is of no matter - all great works have elements of ambiguity, just look at the Bible for example.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:57 PM
elvisizer
Racer

let's see . . . . worst movie ever . . . . i'd have to say Showgirls. It's so bad, it's good! I love that DVD specifically FOR it's putridness . . . . .classic crap.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:00 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by UDPride
Friday After Next
Pootie Tang
Goodburger
Gigli
American Pie
Rhinestone
Ladybugs
Wisdom
Turner and Hooch
Captain Ron
Shanghai Surprise
Memoirs of an Invisible Man
Bootie Call
The Net
Mystic Pizza
To **** Fu Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar

Hahaha, Captian Ron Rocks!!!

how about "Cabin Boy."
Old 08-11-2003, 02:06 PM
led
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kinda like Captain Ron also, even though it's mainly because some scenes were filmed here in PR.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:16 PM
schlag
Burning Brakes

I remember liking captain ron too, but when I saw it I was like 12 years old

My friend's mother was obsessed with that film and had Captain Ron posters plastered all over the basement. She'd watch it on a regular basis.
Sad.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:34 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you guys want to see a really different movie check out "Requiem for a Dream" and "Pi" . they are both from the same director and the both make me happy I am not a drug addict!
Old 08-11-2003, 10:57 PM
Tyler951
Instructor

judd944 you beat me to my post! I was floored with both of those movies. They are what really got my interested in more independant films. I have watched a lot of IFC over this summer and think that i have really expanded my notion of what films can mean.

I am really looking forward to my upcoming semester because im taking intro to film and video studies, and will be getting to watch indy/more obscure films every wednesday night.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:18 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pi is one farked up movie. So is Requiem for a Dream. Loved both, watch them whenever they are on. Rent them whenever I haven't seen them in a while.

First heard about the movie Pi because some of the dialogue was sampled on a Jedi Mind Tricks (a lot of lyrics that make you think, kinda like these movies) song and I thought it was one of the coolest things I've ever heard.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:29 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

schlag... thanks again for the response. I don't get that out of it, but I am not a movie critic...

doze... You are a waste of my time, and I won't be bothered by the likes of you or responding further to you. Please don't bother reading any more of my posts either, if the best you can do is to call me "closed minded" after reading a post that has whopping eleven words , five of which are the artist/title, then I truly wonder whose mind it is that is closed.

Regards,
Old 08-12-2003, 12:11 AM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Perry 951
I also saw phone booth with a friend the other night... not that great either.
OMG Phone Booth was brilliant!!! Kiefer Sutherland was great even though you didnt get to see him until the end. I thought the story was well thought out and it was face paced to keep the audience interested.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:20 AM
944S2NUT
Drifting

NO movie is worse then BIKER BOYZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: OT: WARNING: Worst movie EVER!