Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WAY OT: Anyone with Sun Cobalt Qube 3 Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 02:31 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WAY OT: Anyone with Sun Cobalt Qube 3 Experience?

I recently inherited one of these machines for web hosting and the only login anyone knows doesn't seem to have root access - I try to ftp my web files to \groups\home directory and get permissions denied errors.
What commands can I use to change my permissions or add a new user with root access?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the totally OT use of the forums.
Old 08-10-2003, 05:51 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

We had some of these at my last work... You can reload the OS and reset all passwords in the process. Allows for you to customize the whole thing towards your needs at the same time ~ would be the angle I'd shoot for.

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub...mily.html#QUBE

Looks like there are some user forums for this too, as well as the documentation and OS that's needed to work with it. Good luck, and if you decide to pass it along, I might be interested.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:44 PM
led
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's so pretty! oh! so pretty!!
Old 08-10-2003, 07:58 PM
86944T
Advanced

Paul,
If you decide not to do a complete system restore like Brian suggested it looks as if the Qube 3 runs on a 2.2.x linux kernel.

If that is indeed the case there should be a brief moment while the machine is booting where you can stop the boot process and pass special commands to the kernel. At this point you could boot the machine into "linux single" mode and you will not be prompted for a root password when you login as root.
There is a good description of linux single user mode here:
http://redhat.pacific.net.au/redhat/...ng-single.html

After the machine has booted just change the root's password with:
passwd
And then reboot the machine. Let the machine boot normally and try to login as root.

All linux systems I have worked on have had the option of booting into linux single mode in order to reset the root password. This conforms to the philosophy of if a user has physical access to the machine your root password is easily compromised. That is why you need to establish good physical security precautions before putting a server up in a real mission critical environment. Sorry for the rant, but many people tend to ask why linux single mode even exists.

Peter
Old 08-11-2003, 10:27 AM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for all the useful info -
I'd already considered a complete system restore, and that might be the option I go with, however before I do, I think I'd like to backup any of the data on there now, and I can't seem to do that with the user level access I have.

Single User Mode is something entirely new to me, but if that works, then I will definitely give it a shot. I suppose I'll just need to ask some of my Qube forum users (I'm already registered over there) if there is a way to do it on these boxes.

Again, thanks again -I knew it would be fruitful to post a question on Rennlist!

Old 08-11-2003, 11:11 AM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Failing that, ArsTechnica.com is the place to go for answers. It's an absolutely phenominal tech site that deals with hardware and software. The forum there is the best you'll find for computerish questions. Nerds and pros abound.

Quick Reply: WAY OT: Anyone with Sun Cobalt Qube 3 Experience?