Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A horrid story!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003 | 01:22 PM
Paul from Poland
5th Gear

Default A horrid story!

Be advised, that this is a horror story and that I did bad, bad thing. My choice of transportation is a 1986 944 NA.

I was driving down the only toll highway in Poland (our road infrastructure sucks) from a girlfriend about 40km away from Krakow (yes, all distances are going to be in metric units). Nice sunny day, very little traffic, me a bit upset so I pushed it a bit harder than usual. Going about 160 or 180km/h with the wind around me pretty loud when I start hearing this strange noise. I slowed down a bit trying to see what it might be. It started going "bang" "bang" in the front somewhere and then I noticed my temperature way up. I stopped a bit uphill in the shade of an overpass.

Not wanting to get all panicky, I waited for 15 minutes to let the car and myself cool down a bit. The temp gouge was down by the second mark by then, oil pressure gouge not working since the last repair. The oil level was pretty normal, coolant level as well. Nothing strange noted in the engine compartment. I got in, waited a bit more and tried to start her up. One click. Not a relay-like click. Much louder. But the started didn't even turn over once.

Got out, waited a bit longer, made a few unrelated phone calls. Just then a auto service guy that patrols the highway every now and then stops behind me and starts bitching about how I should properly mark my vehicle. Yeah, I wasn't running my emergency lights because I have these strange electrical problems and they can run down my battery. That said, he listened while I started her up again and said that the starter probably jammed against the flywheel or something like that. I thanked him and put her into reverse, clutch depressed. When I got some speed, I turned the key, eased (not really - jerked - I had to do this a couple of times before I realized that easing my foot off wasn't going to work) off the clutch and the motor started up. First gear, and with a terrible clunking noise I was on my way.

Getting her up to speed wasn't easy but then I just coasted for the next 15km (he he) to the toll booths. Had to have someone help me push her there and twice more as I got into the city. I would jump in, put her in second, turn the key, and release the clutch. Up-shifting was more or less painless. But when I laid off the accelerator, the engine just went silent so I put her in neutral. When I needed to speed up it was: clutch in, lower gear, full gas, clutch out, screeching tires because they got locked up for about two seconds, then power with even louder clunking.

I know that I should have left the car where it was and have towed it back, but I went through all that once in the past and was determined not to have to do it again. Anyway, this way mom doesn't know anything about my little adventure. The End.

Yes, usually after a story like that you'll find a load of questions but I know exactly what to do. Having her towed to a mechanic / friend and am going to take her apart piece by piece. I have a few ideas already. Not that I'll shun on help so if you do want to contribute something, be my guest.
Old 08-10-2003 | 01:32 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey, my grandpa is from Krakow!!

Now... Let me finish reading the rest of your post...
Old 08-10-2003 | 01:35 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Finished reading, I hope nothing too serious needs to be repaired.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: A horrid story!