Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't crank after replacing cables - Starter could be dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 12:49 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Arrow Car won't crank after replacing cables - Starter could be dead

Hi all -

I spent many hours installing the Iceshark cables and headlight harness and when it was time to start the car, the starter didn't make a peep. I did hear the "mmm" noise from the starter area, however.

I took the starter to Autozone and found out that the stud where the Pos+ cables attach to was loose and if moved a certain way, prevents current from getting to the starter. I tried to then locknut the positive stud on the starter in the proper position, but that didn't work either - guess that stud and the inner connections are really whacked.

So does anyone know if I can buy just the solenoid (?) part of the starter where where the positive stud is attached?

Also, here were my voltage readings with car off:

-Battery: 12.45 volts
-Starter pos+ stud: 12.45 volts
-Starter exciter wire stud: 0 volts

That should be enough to start a car, right?

I even tested for continuity of all the cables and wires, so that
should be o.k.

Iceshark - I didn't have time to install the supplemental positive so I just bolted all the small positive wires to the eye terminal of the fuse. That should be ok, right?
Old 08-10-2003, 02:02 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can just buy the solenoid, and it's around $30 IIRC.
Old 08-10-2003, 03:39 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simpson, yes to what you have done to all those little positive wires off battery, you are just fine the way you did it.

There are a LOT of the old starter solenoids going bad with loose studs. As iloveporsches noted, I think I can get them with the shipping for about $30, I can check tomorrow morning if you would like and get one dropped shipped out to you pronto. Which address do you want me to have it shipped to?

Quick Reply: Car won't crank after replacing cables - Starter could be dead