Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoam, adding to the right place?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:15 PM
JJR512
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arominus
Eh i'm not a fan of the huge cloud of smoke it creates for my neighbors...
This is why I did it at work. On a Sunday. I work for an ambulance company which is open 24/7, but minimally staffed on Sundays. And it's in an industrial park, where most of the other businesses are closed. And I did it on the loading bay side of the building, rather than the front door side. Nobody saw or heard me.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:34 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

If you put it in the intake, key thing to do is let it bog down the engine but dont let the engine die. Just let the vacuum sip the liquid until it has had enough. Let it sip as fast as possible without the engine dying. Then turn off the engine asap. Let it soak in the engine for 30+ minutes. Just to 1/3 can at a time
Then start the engine, and make sure its hot enough, and go WOT through 1st gear. And then 2nd, and do all gears until no more smoke comes out the tail pipe.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:12 PM
Jorgen944
Advanced

Originally Posted by HICKS
Notice the people who buy sea foam, know nothing about cars?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil
Read the mans post, he didn't ask for your ****. Everyone has their own opinion and option to pursue the use of material without your approval. He specifically asked a questions about how to use something asking people not to voice their opinions about the substance. There is no reason for your bull**** to be posted since your opinion wasn't really asked for. I promise you aren't the smartest or dumbest person here but neither of those would validate your less than appreciated (by the OP primarily) response.

Sorry I'm in an argument with someone else right now so maybe I'm just in a dick mood. I have in fact used the stuff in some cases with considerably positive results, I could also see cases where nothing would happen or there could be negative results. If you want and argument on education and knowledge of cars in general hit me up, we can talk whatever you want.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:38 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's an Internet forum, he certainly asked my opinion. You'll be ok buddy, I promise.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:03 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by screamin94Z
Seafoam is not snake oil. It works but you have to use it the right way. Follow this write up here:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/how...right-way.html

Like someone previously mentioned, you need to put in in the big rubber hose at the brake booster. You want it to go directly into the intake mainfold, not anywhere else.
Only thing that worries me about anything that loosens up carbon deposits in the engine is where they end up. Imagine most goes out of the exhaust but before that wouldn't they:

1. Get drawn down the cylinder on the intake stroke
2. Be forced between the rings on the compression stroke
3. Get swirled around the combustion chamber on the fire stroke
4. Then eventually find their way out the exhaust valve into you cat or turbo

Carbon is a very hard material even if it's in paste form it has the ability to cause a lot of long term damage to rings, cylinder walls etc, if it gets stuck in there. Probably nothing noticeable in the short term though, but that's a concern to me. Just my opinion.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:23 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't had to use it on my 944, but I had a Saturn SC2 that required regular doses of it due to Saturn-specific problems (widely recognized). For the upper end, you're far better off adding it to your gas, so carbon removal is gradual. Like Mike says, you don't want chunks breaking off.

For rings, some in the oil 50 miles prior to an oil change, and moderate driving while it's in there will clean up the rings and grooves. This was the Saturn's main problem, and a dose of SeaFoam cut oil consumption in half and the effect lasted for 10k miles.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:56 AM
JJR512
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jorgen944
Read the mans post, he didn't ask for your ****. Everyone has their own opinion and option to pursue the use of material without your approval. He specifically asked a questions about how to use something asking people not to voice their opinions about the substance. There is no reason for your bull**** to be posted since your opinion wasn't really asked for. I promise you aren't the smartest or dumbest person here but neither of those would validate your less than appreciated (by the OP primarily) response.

Sorry I'm in an argument with someone else right now so maybe I'm just in a dick mood. I have in fact used the stuff in some cases with considerably positive results, I could also see cases where nothing would happen or there could be negative results. If you want and argument on education and knowledge of cars in general hit me up, we can talk whatever you want.
Originally Posted by HICKS
It's an Internet forum, he certainly asked my opinion. You'll be ok buddy, I promise.
Jorgen944, thank you. I do not understand the mentality of the second quote. This being the internet doesn't make the discussion any different, the internet doesn't (or shouldn't) remove the expectation of politeness and decency.

If I'm out in a public place and happen to walk by some people having a discussion, I don't just walk up to them and tell them what they're talking about is stupid. In the real world, that'd be considered rude and unacceptable. I don't know why it should be any different on an Internet forum.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:49 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

MAGK, you bring up a good point regarding where the loosened carbon goes. First I think its important to remember that as a solvent, seafoam won't break off any "chunks". Seafoam just carries away carbon as a solute more or less. Anyway, this carbon is flying all over the engine all the time, seafoam just moves it further down the line, and gets most of it burned in combustion or before the cat. That's just my thought, at least. I don't imagine the carbon resettling in a trouble area. Just doesnt seem likely to me. But i guess its possible and thats the problem.

Quick Reply: Seafoam, adding to the right place?