Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking brake, or leave it in gear??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 06:45 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy I can show you how to adjust it at the Picnic.

Christian
Old 08-08-2003, 07:17 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The question now is, how many of you e-brake user's are 6' and taller?

I'm roughly 6' 1", and every time I set that brake, I kick it just right when getting out of the car, that it releases the brake....

Quite annoying. I've often wondered what it would take to modify a C4 vette's e-brake handle to work in the car. If you've never seen how they are, they are on the same side of the seat as ours. But when you lift it up, it sets the brake, then it folds back down into the resting position. To disengage the brake, you pull the handle up and push the button, holding the button as you lower the lever.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:27 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

I'm 6'4 and I haven't had any problems kicking the emergency brake yet. I find it odd though, that the 944 is the first car that I've ever driven where I do not put the driver's seat all the way back. I can reach the pedals with the seat all the way back but it is a little bit of a strecth.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:31 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by 944pete
Did Tom Cruise just use the e-brake on the shark in Risky Business?
No, his hooker/girlfriend bump'd it out of gear.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:35 PM
stolarzj
Burning Brakes

Speaking of E-Brake adjustment, the Hayes manual says to adjust by turning in the adjustment on the rotor, and then to pull the front seat to adjust the cable. Is the last step really neccesary? Could I get a way with a couple clicks on the adjuster and be fine? Mine stops the car from rolling at the last click..
Old 08-08-2003, 10:52 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Christian--I never made a reservation. Can I pay there? It's supposed to rain all weekend though...

I agree!! I'm 6 feet, and if I pulled the seat all the way back, I wouldn't be able to press the clutch all the way down! I think this car is designed for taller people--plenty of reach!

Our E-brakes are supposed to stop the car after 2-3 clicks, leaving the handle well below the seat level. When it takes 5-8 clicks, look out for the handle!
Old 08-08-2003, 11:08 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I got a bruise on my thigh from sitting on the ****ing P-brake yesterday. OUCH!

My P-brake is loose, and doesn't hold the car well, but when on level I always use it, and leave the car in Neutral. Makes it easier to start - I always start in N, never in gear. I'm very paranoid about being bumped by someone while parked.

Unless I'm on a hill, in which case I leave it in 1st if facing uphill, or R if facing downhill. AND P-brake too. And I avoid hill parking if possible.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:27 PM
86944T
Advanced

I do a little of both:

- Leave the car in gear, but apply the emergency brake with the clutch in. Then, once the car has been supported by the emergency brake(regular brake peddle off) I place the car in gear.

This allows the car to be support entirely by the emergency brake, while still giving the option of even greater support if the e-brake fails, or if the car gets hit. This way the car is being supported entirely by the e-brake, unless the e-brake fails.

Peter
Old 08-09-2003, 03:51 AM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

E brake only for me, unless I've just bedded pads or come in off the track, then it's transmission only. Even on a hill, I'll just use the ebrake and turn the wheels, but I never let the tires actually touch the curb.

I adjusted my parking brake. It's a fairly simple adjustment. There is info in the factory manual, and also possibly at Clark's garage.

I once had a first generation MR2 that had the parking brake cable freeze. I had to jack the car up and pull the pins to release the parking brake.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:01 AM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

parking brake only here

when people leave their car in gear i forget to hold the clutch down to start -> stall. and the few times i left it in gear by mistake i forgot to take it out of gear when switching the car off -> stall. oh well but my brake does work pretty well: 3 clicks holds it unless im on a hill then i need a few more clicks...
Old 08-09-2003, 04:07 AM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

I use the e-brake and put it in first gear. For some reason this is how I just started doing it, so it became a habit. If anything I sometimes use just the e-brake - mine still works really well!
Old 08-09-2003, 04:42 AM
afx
Racer

I always just use the e-brake. I am 6'2 and its sort of a pain sometimes to get out with the e-brake there if I am in a tight parking spot and cant open the car door all the way.

I parked at my friends house once and just left the car in gear when I got out because thats what I was used to. I didn't realise that I was on a hill, so right when I got out it started rolling away. Not only did it roll it started the car somehow. Dont really know how it started (pretty sure the keys were out of the ignition) but it sorta freaked me out. Now I just use the e-brake only.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:37 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

would there be a diff in 1st vs. 4th. would one be more resistant to rolling/overcoming the compression? interesting.

Jason
Old 08-09-2003, 11:43 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

I seem to remember reading somewhere (the owner's manual?) that Porsche recommends the parking brake and either 1st or R-depending on which way the nose is pointing on the hill. I'm 6'2 and had problems until I installed a late model handle which only seems to have 1/3rd the throw=doesn't come up beyond the seat.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:59 AM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

I use the parking brake only, but I had recently rebuilt it so I know it's good. PO ripped the parking brake guts out, I had to replace everything except the cable.

The e-brake does not hold the car well where it can roll back. Trust me I know.

Quick Reply: Parking brake, or leave it in gear??