Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Canadian F1 race is no more....

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003 | 11:55 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

One thing is for sure: someone has a lot to gain from this cancellation. Mr Ecclestone certainly can gain more from races in Bahrain or China because they don't have tobacco restrictions. Mr. George also gains quite a bit if he gets to have the only North American F1 venue. And to be cynical we can even hypothesize that Mr Legault (Current Montreal GP promoter) has somehow been promised a cut on the Bahrain and China and Indianapolis deals if he agrees to drop the Montreal GP.

However, the biggest loser is the sport itself. With so little consideration for the fan base, people will show less and less interest in F1 racing. Perhaps it is time that Mr. Ecclestone reread Aesop's fable of the goose and the golden egg...

Old 08-09-2003 | 12:25 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member

Napoleon
Veteran: Marine Corp

Mr Legault has about as much consideration for the fans as a baracuda does to a goldfish.
Old 08-09-2003 | 12:46 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Guys did you ever for once stop to consider that F1 is bigger in Bahrain and China than it is in Canada??? huh?

Everyone bloody well knows or should know that F1 does NOT make it's money from ticket sales. ticket sales are a joke compared to the advertising income. Ex-BAR boss Craig Pollock told me so himself in person.

I've yet to check out the Bahrain and China track layouts, but if they are better than Montreal, I'm all for it!!!! Except for Monaco, I hate street tracks. LeMans and Spa don't count as street tracks. Vancouver and Toronto do - they suck. Everyone hates them except the promoters and some spectators. No passing = sucks.

Sid - Yeah I'd like to see the airshow in France, but for the money I'd rather be doing than watching. I could spend $70 and fly an At-6 texan for an hour. I'd rather do that. Even though they are pigs.. hehehe There's nothing quite like flying 100' agl along the coast in a WW2 plane.
Old 08-09-2003 | 10:01 AM
Geo
Race Director

On Autosport.com, Bernie says it's not a done deal yet.
Old 08-09-2003 | 01:31 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

So what are the chances this is just a political move cooked up by Legault and Bernie to put pressure on the government to back off on their tobacco legislation?

Smells like it to me.

Always the cynic.
Old 08-09-2003 | 01:37 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Peckster
So what are the chances this is just a political move cooked up by Legault and Bernie to put pressure on the government to back off on their tobacco legislation?

Smells like it to me.

Always the cynic.
Of course it's totally political. Remember these guys are businessmen first and thus their short-term bottom line is their prime concern. But, in the long run this f**king around with canceling GP's left and right is gonna kill the sport.
BTW, now that the Montreal GP is out, the Belgian GP at SPA Francorchamps is back on. Guess who owns the SPA track?...Bernie!
Old 08-09-2003 | 01:48 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

What I was saying is that they have no intention of cancelling Montreal.
Old 08-09-2003 | 01:56 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah I'd like to see the airshow in France, but for the money I'd rather be doing than watching. I could spend $70 and fly an At-6 texan for an hour. I'd rather do that. Even though they are pigs.. hehehe There's nothing quite like flying 100' agl along the coast in a WW2 plane.
I agree with the do it instead of watch it. I paid $250 to ride in the front gunner position of a WWII B25 Mitchell Bomber for 1 hour and it was the best money I ever spent!
Old 08-09-2003 | 02:07 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Re: no one seems to know what's up

Originally posted by elvisizer
so, the race organizers held a press conference yesterday to announce that Bernie E. had sent them a letter saying that the GP was off the sched. for next year.
Now today, Bernie E. has announced to the media that he HASN'T canceled the canadian GP, and he doesn't know anything about this supposed letter. you can read more about that here
So, no one seems to really know what's up for montreal just yet . . . . .
Old 08-09-2003 | 05:42 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Peckster
What I was saying is that they have no intention of cancelling Montreal.
Yeah, they might be doing a 'good cop/bad cop' routine with Legault posing as the good cop and Bernie as the bad one.

If that is the case, I don't think the fans will be duped. Just like Austria back in 2002...People know when they're being taken for a ride.

Quick Reply: OT: Canadian F1 race is no more....