Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

track car

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 09:38 AM
armand993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking track car

hi guys, i hav a 95 993, i am looking to build a track car
either a 944s2, or 944 turbo , witch car do you think would be better
fro this . any info appreciated armand ,, ps i had a 1990 944s2 cab. before
great car.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:45 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easier to make big power with the turbo. But, there are people turbocharging the S2, not many, but they do exist.

I say boost is best for the open track.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:54 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

armand: if you plan on doing a lot of time at Lime Rock, then a turbo vs. an S2 won't really make that much of a difference: the turbo doesn't have the space to stretch it's legs! Now at The Glen, it's a different story...

As OriginalSterm pointed out, a turbo can be modified very easily, but with an S2, as you know, what you got is what you got, in terms of engine and power.

Both the S2 and 951 have basically the same suspension, and it's not too bad, but can be upgraded to coil-overs for a firmer ride.

One of the biggest bang for the buck upgrades in terms of handling on these cars is to mount 16x8-inch wide wheels on the fronts, so you can run with 245-45/16's at all four corners: makes the car very neutral, and allows for far better turn-in and rotation.

My S2 sees regular track time, and while I get blown away by the turbos on the straights, it doesn't matter: I can catch up with them in the corners! (Note: I haven't seen a non-modified turbo on the track in about a year...)

HTH,
-Z.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:32 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well,
Best car to learn to drive fast is a 944 2.5L NA. Reason?
With little hp you MUST learn to carry momentum. Strip it out and the weight goes down to 2400-2500 lbs and they are a hoot. Cost is very low for these cars and for upkeep. 100% stock they are soft and not ideal. Need suspension work to make them fast with stock interior.

If you want very streetable track car 944 S2, 968, or 944 Turbo are better cars. Fast enough to hold their own vs most and P-car in DE if driven well. Cars can retain full interior and still be pleasant to acceptable on the street depening on suspension work and ligthening.
These cars will cost more than a 2.5L NA car.

944S2 & 968 are much the same. Only difference on the track is HP really.
Nice fat power bands and solid cars. Less complications of all the turbo stuff as well. These cars can help you limit costs since there are few low cost power upgrades. Since its not out there you probably won't spend the money.

944 Turbo or 944 Turbo S.
Good power, but due to the turbo must be driven differently than a NA car. Not a on/off light switch, but more care must be taken to understand the power delivery of the Turbo. Great rush when on BOOOST !
Also very easy to modify to make more hp. This is blessing and a curse. A blessing since you can get 300 whp from these cars with the right work. This work does not cost that much money either. A curse because you will at some point want to do this. This will cost money and can get expensive if really get sucked in as many do. Your quest for better lap times will drive you to more hp first since it is so easy and thus it is easy to end up with a car that is much faster than a driver. With the 2.5L na or S2 or 968 is the less likely since the power is harder to obtain.

As a side note if you are interest racing the car in the future take carefull note of potential classes and modifications. These can move you into a class you may not want to be in.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: track car