Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake pedal travel after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014 | 11:04 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Default brake pedal travel after rebuild

I rebuilt my brembo calipers and now I'm having a problem where the pedal goes to the floor and I have to pump it a few times. I did bleed them of course but I suspect what's happening is that the new seals are retracing the pistons too far. I've read up on this and it seems to be a common problem. If I pump a few times, the pedal gets solid, but then if I wait a few seconds, then the next time it will go to the floor. Apparently it goes away after a while as the seals break in.

I installed a slightly more worn set of pads and pumped the pedal to try to get the pistons out a bit more, then squeezed in the current pads. That seemed to help a bit but it's still a problem. The thing is, I have a track event tomorrow...there's no way I can do it with the brakes like this. Is there anything else I can do to speed up the process? I only have a few hours to get this sorted this evening or I will have to miss the event. I know that's more than likely what will happen now but any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2014 | 11:49 AM
Reimu
Drifting

Pull the pads out and apply the brakes (not all the way but give them plenty of travel to stretch)

I bought new calipers and bled at least 20 times before figuring out it was the fresh seals.
Old 06-27-2014 | 03:47 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Thanks...I tried that intially and tried to watch the pistons on the driver's side front to make sure I didn't let them out too far. They didn't seem to be moving at all but when I stopped and looked closer, I discovered that one I couldn't see had come out all the way to the disc while the others had stayed all the way back

I might have to get creative with clamps or shims of some kind to get them to come out evenly.
Old 08-07-2014 | 11:12 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Reimu, how long did it take to break in your new seals? Mine have improved a lot and I was able to do a track event last weekend with no issues, but the pedal is still not 100% right. It bites a bit low, although it still stops the car well. A few light pumps and it gets really high, and feels perfect. But by the time I get to the next set of lights, it's low again. I have put a few thousand miles on them since the rebuild.

I'm wondering if it could be the master cylinder on the way out?
Old 08-07-2014 | 03:19 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

You could put in some worn pads, or even a scrap of metal about 1/4" thick...

What's your technique for bleeding? You're sure the calipers are on the correct sides? I've seen people accidentally swap left and right so the bleeders are pointed down...

I find that sometimes it helps to use the Motive pressure bleeder, have someone step on the pedal, and tap the brake lines (hard, flexible, and caliper) with a hammer to dislodge any air bubbles that are sticking to the internal walls by surface tension.
Old 08-07-2014 | 03:20 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

p.s. You did coat the seals and sides of the pistons with brake fluid as you were reassembling them?
Old 08-07-2014 | 03:30 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Van
You could put in some worn pads, or even a scrap of metal about 1/4" thick...

What's your technique for bleeding? You're sure the calipers are on the correct sides? I've seen people accidentally swap left and right so the bleeders are pointed down...

I find that sometimes it helps to use the Motive pressure bleeder, have someone step on the pedal, and tap the brake lines (hard, flexible, and caliper) with a hammer to dislodge any air bubbles that are sticking to the internal walls by surface tension.
I have a set of pads that are slightly more worn that my current ones but not much. I tried those originally but I'll look for something else a bit thinner.

Calipers are definitely on the correct sides, bleeders up I bleed with a Motive pressure bleeder and I do all those things when I'm bleeding - press the pedal a little, tap the calipers and lines etc.

Originally Posted by Van
p.s. You did coat the seals and sides of the pistons with brake fluid as you were reassembling them?
Yes I did it exactly the way you show it in your video. I also compared the new seals with the ones I removed to make sure the sizes were correct.
Old 08-07-2014 | 03:59 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

When using the Motive Power Bleeder, I push the pedal all the way down and up (slowly) a few times.

Did you install new rotors? The used pads may be worn a little slant/uneven, which may be the reason you have to push the pedal far down?
Old 08-07-2014 | 04:01 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

I didn't install new rotors lately. The pads were installed new on moderately used rotors earlier this year, but I have a good few miles and several track events on them.

Quick Reply: brake pedal travel after rebuild