Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear coat repair?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 01:09 PM
Velvet951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear coat repair?!?

I took my autocross numbers off my car this weekend and on one side of my door, it looks like the magnet peeled the clearcoat off!!! It is very dull in that area. It's not super big, but it's an eye soar every time I look at it. Any suggestions on repairing it? I think it's the clearcoat, what else could it be?
Old 08-06-2003, 01:45 PM
Big E
Racer

Hard to tell what actually happened without seeing it. Is there an obvious "edge" where the numbers were, or does it just look dull generally in that area?

If it's the latter (I don't the clear coat could possibly come off in a gradual transition), it probably just got extra scratched up and some clear coat "finisher" - I can't remember what the correct name of it is, but I got some 3M stuff at Pep Boys - should clean it right up. Just be careful not to do to much, since that stuff is basically superfine liquid sandpaper, and you are taking clear coat off to restore the shine.

If the clear coat has actually been stripped, it's hard as hell to spot-fix that. I've made a feeble attempt on a spot that was on the car when I bought it where the clearcoat was gone (and was beginning to grow), and while the finish itself is killer, feathering the edge between old and new is an art and talent that I don't have.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:55 PM
'88-924S
Racer

keep the numbers on, that way everyone will know you go fast. I've 'fixed' a spot on my hood, but not well as Big E mentioned. I used fingernail polish around the edge where the clearcoat was coming off and then used spray clear coat stuff from AZ. It was better than before but still an eyesore. Depending on the size though, it may get you by. Incidentally, you may want to use a thin sheet of something between your numbers and car from now on-I'm sure you've figured out something by now. Good luck and if you find a good process, please post it!!

Quick Reply: Clear coat repair?!?