Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

She runs! She actually runs! (including a thanks to all of you)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 06:27 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear that it's running.

The warped header leak reminds me of an intake leak that I had on a Toyota p/u after I removed the intake manifold, I had to take it to a machine shop that basically milled the mating surface back to level.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:56 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome !!! Congratulations on getting the car back together! It must feel incredible, the elation, the excitement, even better than sex!

"So does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to make the headers seal against the head better."

I'm not sure what you mean by the warped description. Do you mean one the two header tubes don't line up with the head studs and you have to force one one? Is this for both headers? Or do you mean one header tube makes contact with the ehad first? Or do you mean both of them makes contact, but is twisted such that they don't lay flat up against the head?

All of these conditions indicate a mis-alignment of parts of some sort. Typically, you want to install all of the exhaust components, headers, crossover pipe, wastegate, downpipe with the bolts going through the holes, but not tightened. Then you want to go through and tighten them from the outside in in stages. Meaning the turbo-to-crossover flange a little, then the headers a little. Then the headers-to-crossover, then the wastegate, etc.

You might need to take the headers off and have them milled flat on the flanges. Or else you're introducing a twisting force on the pipes and over time with heat-cycling, you'll end up cracking them.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:16 PM
johne
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. It feels great to have the car running although I will not be able to drive it for a week or two.(Friggin headers)

Triscadek, Danno
Well the headers are warped in two directions. The Flanges are a little too close together and the flanges to not lie exactly parallel with the heads. I am tired of wrestling with these guys and want my car to be ready when school starts. So I have found a solution.

Tim says they will be ready in 1-1.5 weeks and school starts the 18 th (1.5 weeks). So with any luck and a little SpeedForce magic my car will be up and running before the Atlanta get together on the 23 (2 weeks).

Besides this way I get a nice little performance increase too. The headers will flow better and I will have a new lighter weight version of my wallet.

Then when Danno’s chips arrive for my MAP 2 kit well, lets not get ahead of ourselves.

John

Quick Reply: She runs! She actually runs! (including a thanks to all of you)