Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blanket on the Turbo or naked ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014 | 07:06 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Default Blanket on the Turbo or naked ?

Was wrapping up the crossover and downpipe wth ceramic wrap and was wondering what you guys were doing with the hot side.

My throughts.
1. Cover it with a ceramic blanket to help keep intake temps down
or
2. No blanket and allow more heat to escape to help minimize maximum temperature of the center section.

Turbo is oil cooled only and I'm not setup for maximum horsepower and boost. Current oil temps in the pan don't go above 215 but that's not a reflection of the temp at the turbo bearings.

So, do you cover them up?

Thx
Brian
Old 06-04-2014 | 01:50 PM
turboS_swede
Instructor

I coated mine internally and externally with a ceramic barrier coating along with the downpipe. I also had the cold side ceramic coated in their polished coating, looks good and should help with heat soak.

http://www.finishlinecoatings.com

Their thermal coatings can block about 70%, the polished coating blocks quite a bit less.

Blankets and wraps tend to cause the heat to damage things since the heat has no where to go except into the metal. The internal ceramic coating helps block the heat from getting into the steel. The wrap also tends to increase the tendency of it to rust since it holds moisture (there's plenty in the air to cause this) close to the surface of the metal.

Here's the turbo off my 951, a PO had wrapped it (poorly). I had to have it rebuilt due to a failed oil seal:

and here it is after being refreshed and the coatings applied:

Quick Reply: Blanket on the Turbo or naked ?