Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S2 Alignment Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 06:16 PM
Johan928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944S2 Alignment Question

Just called 2 local alignement places and they informed me they douldn't do more than adjust the toe-in and toe-out on my car as they didn't have the proper equipment. I'm in South eastern MS on the coast, 40 miles west of Mobile, AL. Anyone know a good alignment store in the area?

The local Goodyear store said, "sure, don't see why not." For lack of a better option I'm planning on taking the car there although I doubt they'll do much more than the toe-in and toe-out adjustment.

Having just replaced the motor mounts, tie rods and one of the lower ball joints (other was replaced by PO), I know the car will be out of alignment quite badly because one of the control arms did not go back on exactly as it was before I took it off. This was a result of changing the worn out motor mounts and the cross member moving a little when being bolted back to the frame.

I know the 928 should not have the wheels lifted off the ground when being aligned, or else it must be pulled back down as the suspension won't settle properly. Is the 944 the same way?

Has anyone had success with a fair alignment from a tire store such as Goodyear. I'm guessing it will depend largely on the technician's skills and the equipment, but I have not seen many P cars running around down here.

Thanks,
John
Old 08-06-2003, 01:52 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Sorry, no experience with any shops near you. But I can tell you the 944 is no way near as sensitive to lifting on the alignment rack as the 928. Watched a friend get burned by 2 different places because they did not believe him about the 928 suspension, but back to the S2. The alignment is pretty straight forward with regard to camber/caster/toe. As long as the alignment machine is good and the operator knows how to use it, should not be a problem to do. You aren't going for some extreme race/ax set up are you?
Old 08-06-2003, 10:14 AM
Johan928
Addict
Rennlist Member

No, not going for any extreme race set up.
Thanks for info on 944S2 set up. It seems more straightforward than the 928 alignment procedure, which is what I told the shop nearest me. They will try to set the alignment.

Is the Camber on our cars adjustable via the bolt on top of the strut housing? I doubt they'll have a 22 mm offest wrench to hold the nut to rotate the bolt, but we will see.

Thanks,
John
Old 08-06-2003, 01:11 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

the only special tool needed to align a 944 is an eccentric to adjust rear toe. The camber adjustment is already there but without the tool rear toe adjustment will not be easy. Front camber adjustment is by an eccentric at the bottom of the strut, no special tools needed(17mm and 19mm wrenches) If they do not have the tool for the rear toe, it's probably best if they leave the rear alone, unless you are having handling or tire wear problems, any changes they make to rear camber will have an effect on rear toe.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:17 PM
Johan928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark,

I thought the bolts on the bottom of the car, at the rear of the control arm are for caster adjustment. Didn't see any adustment bolts on the bottom of the strut. I think the camber on the S2 suspension is done from the top bolt of the strut.

John
Old 08-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

John-

Camber on the 944 is adjusted by the 2 bolts that connect the strut to the hub/spindle. One bolt is eccentric with matching washer to make adjustment. The second is just a pinch bolt to help dist. load. Camber adjustment at the top bolt of strut is only available if you have upgraded the upper strut mount to the adj. variety.

You are correct on the caster adjustment.

HTH,

Quick Reply: 944S2 Alignment Question