Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not a rice fan but.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 02:23 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by iloveporsches
Why does everyone think Japanesse engines spontaneously explode?
Interesting question. I just did a little research and found out STi runs 14.5psi boost while the Evo is up to 19psi. Looks like one of them will be replacing head gaskets on regular basis

As for the above comment it depends. I bought a 3 liter Mitsubishi engined van, new, which at 70k was already smoking blue stacks through the exhaust. As well as a big mess of oil leakage from valve covers, ect. In comparison my Toyota engine is bone dry, tight as new with no oil loss at 135k, amazing!
Old 08-05-2003, 02:25 PM
PNWR968
Rennlist Member

This "econo" box has had more time to work out it's bugs from version to version than just about anything we're driving. It's now on version 8.

The misnomer that this is an "econobox" with a big engine is false. Actually it's a deturned Group N pro rally car in sheeps clothing. The body is just along for the ride. Same lines as the Mazda 323 GTX, Audi Turbo Coupe Quattros, etc. with big brakes, a high HP engine, and 4 wheel drive.

Mitsubishi's been at this a LONG time and I think this car is about as refined as it gets in its class.

With that said, I'd never trade my Porsche for it. But as a daily driver, I bet it will be a grin inducing ride.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:25 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally posted by jp944
It reminds me of what Dodge did with the Omni. Anybody remember the Shelby Omni GLH?
The GLHS (Goes Like Hell Shelby) was one bad little car. Carroll Shelby bought only 1,000 of the already limited-production GLH models and upgraded them with Koni adjustable shocks and struts, 15" Goodyear Gatorback tires, and modified the engine to reach Turbo II specs of 175 hp. These cars are known as the 1987 GLH-S, and look much like an upgraded '83 Shelby Charger, with again the tape decor, and this time major performance modifications. It was a 2-door coupe only in black with grey interior. At only 2200 pounds, it was one of the fastest hatch backs you could buy at the time.

The EVO is a pretty sweet car, and from the test results that I have seen, a pretty fast car to boot. The rear end needs some work, but the rest of the car is well done.

I'd still have to go with the Scooby.....
Old 08-05-2003, 02:50 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Z-man
It's an echonobox commuter car.....

....with a monster engine.

I'm not particularly impressed.
No, it's a world class rally car with a moderate engine. I've seen them autoX, and they're excellent (it's an SCCA A Stock car). But they really shine offroad, which is where they were designed to run.
In rally racing, the Evo has a better record than the 911 GT1 does in LeMans racing.
The Evo is one of the best four door cars around, comparable to a BMW M5 or MB S55 AMG in performance.
If Porsche made a sedan, it would be compared to the Evo.

Originally posted by cmoss
Wait 2 yearas and get it for $12K...
Not quite. They MSRP for $30k now and very few people can get them below MSRP.
This is not a cheap FF lancer, despite the name and similar body. The car will hold its value very well.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:38 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,381 Likes on 509 Posts

I LOVE THAT CAR....Absolutely Impressive car!!! A race car out of the box...I like it almost as much as I like the 951
Old 08-05-2003, 04:50 PM
P944forScott
Racer

Why call it "rice"?
Looks like a factory hot rod, no ridiculous wings, outrageous colors, DVD player etc.
Not the prettiest car on the road but looks like a fun driver.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:15 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a cool car.

I just don't like the interior. Never do in Japanese cars. The doors panels are especially gross...and BORING!
Old 08-05-2003, 05:30 PM
bader$
Burning Brakes

I would have one of those or an sti.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:43 PM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

Originally posted by Z-man
It's an echonobox commuter car.....
The chassis and suspension is far from the econobox commuter car that is the Lancer.

Originally posted by tim944
I wonder how long that 2.0 liter holds up with 271 hp? I would hate to miss a shift!
The previous Evolution was rated at 280ps, but was under rated. It put out about 310 horsepower from the 2.0 liter.

Originally posted by James86-951
Two words on the engine: Factory Grenade.
Not at all. The engine design is over 10 years old. Stock, that engine can do about 23 pounds of boost with no issue. Unlike our cars, they don't go through head gaskets like it is in fashion.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:51 PM
Danno
Race Director

And I bet the thermostat circlip (if there is one) would be a whole lot easier to remove, eh??? heh, heh...
Old 08-05-2003, 06:27 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

The STi and Evo8 should do very well on the used car market. My WRX is on a 39 month lease and though Im only 15 months into it, Ive been checking used car values and done some amortizing and I expect anywhere from $1000-2000 in equity in the lease above and beyond the quoted residual value by the time I return it. Thats not counting any miles I short the leasing company either on my max mileage/yr. I may buy the car at residual and sell it back to the dealer on the spot. Ive done that a couple times on the contingency they rolled the equity into the selling price of the car I leased after that.

Ive driven both. Evo8 handles better. Feels more nimble. At times the power feels more "there". Sort of like a scalpel. STi has a much better interior, I think it looks better, and overall has more oomph when you just mash the gas. Not quite as polished in the corners. Suffers a bit of the WRXs "sloshiness". Overall Id prefer it as a daily driver though. More refined in the other 85% of driving when you are just trying to battle the elements and traffic and smog and a-holes. I prefer Subaru AWD to anybodys in any price range. I didnt have the same confidence in the Mitsu.

Id love either car though. You have to remind yourself though that these things aren't BMWs. The interiors and all the other stuff other than the engine is Toyota Corolla-ish and no better (or worse depending on viewpoint). If you can live with the basics and dont need burl walnut, leather seats, electronic telescoping steering wheels, and all that crap, they can be fun. I cant imagine tackling rain and snow anymore w/o AWD. Its like cutting butter with a warm knife.

Im slowly turning in favor of those 350Zs though. I keep seeing a few around and they look pretty good. From the rear especially. Just another competitor to throw in the mix. A little more upscale perhaps.

Id like to see a Lexus AWD car. Perhaps the IS300 with 300bhp. They could use the engine out of the GS430.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:14 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

I would rather get the STi myself....
Old 08-05-2003, 10:17 PM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

Originally posted by Danno
And I bet the thermostat circlip (if there is one) would be a whole lot easier to remove, eh??? heh, heh...
Hehe...shut it.

I still haven't come across another car with that goofy clip.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:26 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Originally posted by Jonas Goldsmith
I would rather get the STi myself....
After seeing examples of each circle the track at Infineon in May I'd go for the Evo rather than the WRX. I'm sure they both kick serious butt in the loose stuff but the WRX [stock] looks like a blunder on the race track. It's a real pig and the front suspension looks painfully over-worked especially in 90 degree corners. Evo looks like butta'.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:29 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Surely you guys (I guess age matters) have seen the little 'Le Car' that was imported in the early 80's by the French manufacturer Renault.

It's the base for the Renault 5 turbo just like the one driven by Barbara Carrera (hmmm coincidence..? ) in the Bond movie.

Here's a link to the 5 turbo, Perry there's a red one there just for you..... ...... http://space.virgilio.it/andrea_passerini@tin.it/

Terry S.

Quick Reply: not a rice fan but.......