Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you approve a 944 for a 16 year old?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 04:16 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
i have a 16 y/o who also wants a Porsche 944 and even has the person waiting to give it to him .. unfortuantely it will come down to insurance ...

priced out a Porsche 2 door coupe for a 16 y/o lately ? better stick him in the volvo till your pocket book recovers.
I don't think insurance can be that bad, have you guys gotten quotes? I'm a guy in my early 20s and I insure my '83 NA as my only car for $45 a month give or take, towing included (of course) through USAA. Maybe it's a location thing, but I've heard a lot of people back up the low 944 insurance rates
Old 05-29-2014, 07:42 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by M3 Defector
Thanks everyone! Wife wants him in a Volvo 240 wagon!! Which, honestly is a pretty cool car, but I'm partial to another Porsche in the family
Your wife seems to have the common sense in your family.

That said, perhaps watch this -

Old 05-29-2014, 08:21 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
i have a 16 y/o who also wants a Porsche 944 and even has the person waiting to give it to him .. unfortuantely it will come down to insurance ...

priced out a Porsche 2 door coupe for a 16 y/o lately ? better stick him in the volvo till your pocket book recovers.
I started a thread a few months ago. A 150hp 944 would cost me more to insure than a 240hp E36 M3. Go figya!

The bad about the M3 with a young driver is that his contemporaries can almost comfortably fit in the back seat.

I want to put my daughter in a 2 seat manual transmission without Bluetooth, etc. Is that a C4?
Old 05-29-2014, 08:32 PM
Sterlingx2011
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy V
Your wife seems to have the common sense in your family.

That said, perhaps watch this -

All respect to the guy in the video, he is very knowledgeable and did his research, but man does he suck the fun out of a room.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:10 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

The Porsche is probably the better idea

Old 05-30-2014, 12:15 AM
Cole
Drifting

Old 05-30-2014, 11:31 AM
Cole
Drifting

Wink

Show your wife (not your son) this video. Tell her "its stock"!

She will be the first out the door to pick up a 944

Old 05-31-2014, 12:23 PM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha, I love lolvoboxes. One of my friends got started drifting in a V8-swapped one.

Still, though, a 944 (especially a lower-powered NA) sounds totally fine as long as you teach your kid how to actually DRIVE the thing. Spend some time on it. Buy the kid a trackday, even. Sign him up for one of the more in-depth teen driving classes if there's one being held nearby. Definitely good that he's done some karting and has some basic car control, so I wouldn't worry too much about letting him loose in a 944. Driver's Ed didn't do squat and anyone who can fog a mirror can practically get a license nowadays, so even "yay, I got a license" doesn't mean much.

I'm guessing the age of the car and the generally older demographic of its owners would mean cheaper insurance, too. I have a Lancer as the DD and it's ridiculous what the insurance is on that one. It's not even the Evo--it's just that owners tend to be butt turrible at the whole "driving" thing, apparently. Grr.

(Caveat: not a parent, never want to be a parent, however, I know a bunch of people with kids, so eh.)
Old 05-31-2014, 02:16 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

1996 s320 is the simplest hfm-sfi engine electronics and probably the safest car on the road. Not fast off the line but the short wheel base model is nimble for its heft. The parts prices are reasonable for the ancillaries. The m104 engine is the last of its kind.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Having slid my 944 in to things before, I'll say it's one tough car. My kids are much younger so I'm real curious about this discussion. Of course I want my son to have the cool car. But as a teenager I would have killed myself in the 944, and I was one of those nerdy, well respected, over achiever kids. We all let that teenage aggression out somewhere. Even if he's really safe and responsible, he's still over confident. These are the guys more likely to spin out at track days.

With that said, if he's going to be reckless in a car, that's going to be any car you put him in, and they're all dangerous. So maybe there's something to be said about not wanting to wreck something he'll have put a lot of time and effort in to. And he'll be fixing the 944 quite a lot. Is he ready to give up a chunk of his life to this thing?

I wouldn't want to hit a deer in a 944.

My kid, I guess I'd put him in something a little higher up with more airbags, traction/stability control, maybe AWD and high crash ratings.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:08 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by Player0
Having slid my 944 in to things before, I'll say it's one tough car. My kids are much younger so I'm real curious about this discussion. Of course I want my son to have the cool car. But as a teenager I would have killed myself in the 944, and I was one of those nerdy, well respected, over achiever kids. We all let that teenage aggression out somewhere. Even if he's really safe and responsible, he's still over confident. These are the guys more likely to spin out at track days.

With that said, if he's going to be reckless in a car, that's going to be any car you put him in, and they're all dangerous. So maybe there's something to be said about not wanting to wreck something he'll have put a lot of time and effort in to. And he'll be fixing the 944 quite a lot. Is he ready to give up a chunk of his life to this thing?

I wouldn't want to hit a deer in a 944.

My kid, I guess I'd put him in something a little higher up with more airbags, traction/stability control, maybe AWD and high crash ratings.
There is no substitute for proper driver education. That does not mean "track days" with enthusiasts playing the roll of instructors. Too many club level instructors don't *really* know how to teach driving and often don't know the facts themselves.

Best thing you can do to save your kids life is to take them to Master Drive in Colorado. Take a family vacation road trip/flight if you have to, but put the kid through the skills course.

I've been an auto enthusiast for over 40 years and I've almost never met another enthusiast/racer that knows everything this company teaches.

https://www.masterdrive.com

Fwiw, the owner raced a 951 in 1986 and still tracks one, the GM has a 951, the Chief Instructor of 20 years has a 951, at least one head instructor is a long time 951 owner and the company had a fleet of 944s for many years.

Quick Reply: Would you approve a 944 for a 16 year old?