Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you approve a 944 for a 16 year old?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 02:26 AM
holtzy822
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welp I'm 16... I know I'm not a parent but it has brought my dad and I much closer together working on the car.... That's all I really have to say lol I love my car to death and always will (until a 951 comes around hehe) but yeah, great cars!
Old 05-28-2014, 03:21 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
ok, the voice of experience - I bought both my daughters 944s, but first they drove my 51 dodge for a few years - each had to do significant work on the car, both learned from that and care well for their cars, and both did significant work (like clutch change) on their 944s. I drove one daughter's 944 off a cliff while trying to locate a fuel system problem ( a test drive gone bad, you may say, no idea if there was a failure or my fault, at about 25 mph on slippery pavement it just suddenly made a sharp right and went over the cliff and down about 35 feet) - we walked away unhurt, but the car died. So I bought her another that she drives. I've been hit pretty hard in a 944 and also in a 993 - I'm still alive and unhurt from the experience. I did get hurt in a 356B, but that was at a younger and more stupid age

The 944, in my opinion is a good car. For a 16 year old, I would get one that didn't run but was complete and had a decent interior - then work with the kid to fix the car, both mechanically and body/paint. After 8 to 12 months of hard work, the car will be beautiful and roadworthy, and with that much blood/sweat/and tears in it, the kid will be less likely to do something crazy. And, get a manual transmission - many folks can't drive one and that will limit the desire of friends to borrow it. And definitely an NA - it's easier to work on and more reliable than the S, a little slower, but just as comfortable.
Eh the S really is no worse than the 8v, the chain tensioner is a pain but otherwise, its really all very close. I say this having had a 924S and a 944S. The S is considerably faster though, in a very sneaky way. I love it, but i enjoy driving the S2 more.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:19 PM
931guru
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 235 Posts

Last edited by 931guru; 05-28-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:29 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
In what planet is a volvo 240 wagon a cool car?
They have a huge cult following, my wife has always wanted one.

Originally Posted by konakat
You can't do anything too dumb with 150hp.
In high-school I had a CRX HF with less than 60hp and I got into a lot of trouble with it.

Originally Posted by M3 Defector
Wife wants him in a Volvo 240 wagon!!
I'd almost put the 944 above the Volvo 240 in the safety category. Sure it was the safest car on the road in the early 80's, technology has well surpassed them and they are such ill handling cars you are more likely to be in an accident than with a 944...

Old 05-28-2014, 03:30 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Default I just bought one for my (soon to be) 16 yr old son...

Pretty ironic that the OP posted this yesterday. I just bought this '86 944 Turbo on Monday. It will be my son's primary car, and we'll use it for some DE and Autocross.

As with the OP, my son has some karting experience and is a very responsible and laid back young man. We always told him that if he kept his grades up and stayed out of trouble, we would see to it that he had something cool to drive, if he wanted. He has held up his end of the bargain so far, so this makes it very clear to him that we are serious from our end too. He won't be 16 till Feb, so we still have some time to keep "dangling the carrot" before he can actually take a big bite out of it.

As far as safety goes, the biggest scourge for teen drivers is texting. I think I would rather see a teen driving around with a beer in their hand than a cell phone! I always said, no matter what my son drives, it will be a stick. It's much harder to text and drive with a stick.

Roger
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2014, 03:45 PM
jagdhund
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mach 5
As far as safety goes, the biggest scourge for teen drivers is texting. I think I would rather see a teen driving around with a beer in their hand than a cell phone! I always said, no matter what my son drives, it will be a stick. It's much harder to text and drive with a stick.
I agree with this completely
Old 05-28-2014, 04:43 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

944's fare relatively well in accidents and handle well so some accidents can possibly be avoided. Volvo 240 handling is horrible in comparison. The lack of airbags on the earlier models would possibly deter me, as would the lack of anti-lock brakes. But, these factors can be counter balanced by a kid that ALWAYS uses a seat belt and one that knows a little about driving and modulating the brakes and that otherwise drives responsibly.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:19 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mach 5
Pretty ironic that the OP posted this yesterday. I just bought this '86 944 Turbo on Monday. It will be my son's primary car, and we'll use it for some DE and Autocross.

As with the OP, my son has some karting experience and is a very responsible and laid back young man. We always told him that if he kept his grades up and stayed out of trouble, we would see to it that he had something cool to drive, if he wanted. He has held up his end of the bargain so far, so this makes it very clear to him that we are serious from our end too. He won't be 16 till Feb, so we still have some time to keep "dangling the carrot" before he can actually take a big bite out of it.

Roger
Thanks for all the responses. The kids' and parents' opinions are appreciated. Yes, I'm biased, but believe my son has earned the trust to have a car like this. He was valedictorian in his 8th grade class and is now ranked 6th in a class of 920 taking all honors STEM classes including a super cool aerospace engineering class. He wants to go to Clemson and work for PCNA. He has volunteered at two separate Macan Launch events at Baker Porsche in Charleston and Hilton Head Porsche...he is driven and focused.

He drives manual transmission cars 98% of the time. He learned to drive a manual on my 996 and drives my wife's manual Saab and my 997 (so far with me or in the 'hood).

Of course I'm looking forward to both of us using it at DE's too

When we bring one home I will post to this thread. If anyone knows of a great example within 500 miles of the Charleston area drop me a line.

Thanks!!
Don
Old 05-29-2014, 07:30 AM
firemn131
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

My Turn..hahha.
I tought my boy/girl twins when they were 10 years old how to drive a stick an 87 924S. I am now reserecting a junk yard find '92 968. He is now learning how to put mechanical things together and the theory behind it. He is also learning the cost of ownership. He is now 13 and I think it will be a good experience. Now mind you, my daughter isnt as responsible. so it depends mostly on the kid and their level of responsibility.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:42 PM
Sterlingx2011
Instructor

Originally Posted by jagdhund
I agree with this completely
Funny enough, my buddy who works with DPS says the average age of drivers involved in texting related accidents is 35.

Originally Posted by firemn131
My Turn..hahha.
I tought my boy/girl twins when they were 10 years old how to drive a stick an 87 924S. I am now reserecting a junk yard find '92 968. He is now learning how to put mechanical things together and the theory behind it. He is also learning the cost of ownership. He is now 13 and I think it will be a good experience. Now mind you, my daughter isnt as responsible. so it depends mostly on the kid and their level of responsibility.
My oldest niece has fallen in love with my 944. I am thinking of doing something similar to this.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:10 PM
jej3
Three Wheelin'

Received 341 Likes on 171 Posts

My 15 year old has a 1987 924S that he and I are working on towards his 16th birthday. The kid GLOWS about the car and it has been an excellent motivator for grades, etc...

We're contemplating a vinyl wrap versus paint as the 11 year old is calling "dibs" on the car when the 15 year old goes to college.

Of course, the 11 year old would like my 928 or Cayenne, too
Old 05-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by jej3
Of course, the 11 year old would like my 928 or Cayenne, too
My now 11 year old called dibs on the M Roadster the day I brought it home two years ago. She said since her name starts with M, and the car has Ms all over it, and no Ts, it was meant to be hers.

I couldn't argue that logic with a 9 year old thinking I would win.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:46 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 944 is an excellent teaching tool. You will either learn how to turn a wrench or the value of a dollar.....or both.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:53 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

i have a 16 y/o who also wants a Porsche 944 and even has the person waiting to give it to him .. unfortuantely it will come down to insurance ...

priced out a Porsche 2 door coupe for a 16 y/o lately ? better stick him in the volvo till your pocket book recovers.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two young toddlers and don't want to think that the day when they turn 16 will come faster than I want. But, I would not have any issues with them having a 944 as a first car. Overall I think the cars are great and will teach them about maintenance and respect. I consider them overall safe and well built vehicles. Not sure where you're located but here in Chicago the only main issue would be the winters.

Quick Reply: Would you approve a 944 for a 16 year old?