Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you approve a 944 for a 16 year old?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 10:43 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by M3 Defector
Thanks everyone! Wife wants him in a Volvo 240 wagon!! Which, honestly is a pretty cool car, but I'm partial to another Porsche in the family
In what planet is a volvo 240 wagon a cool car?
Old 05-27-2014, 10:47 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would approve of an 8v N/A car. A later one with airbags and ABS would be perfect. You can't do anything too dumb with 150hp.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:49 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Having had both a 240 wagon and a 944 at a young age (and having wrecked a 944 turbo and a Volvo 144), I do not think one is really safer than the other, because they are from the same vintage.

I do agree with the general comments that a car that's twenty, or even thirty years newer has advances in safety equipment, structural design and metallurgical design.

If I had a child turning 16 right now, I'd be OK with a 944 for him/her. I'd also seriously consider the Boxster.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:12 PM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by konakat
You can't do anything too dumb with 150hp.
Bull****. I did very dumb stuff with MUCH less hp at that age!

Sounds like OP's son has a good head on his shoulders plus the right kind of driving experience, and most importantly respect for the road and the car(s). Why not get him an S or S2? Sounds like he'll be able to handle it.

When my daughter is the same age, I'll do the same for her provided she has the same experience and respect. If I trust her and am confident in her judgement and abilities I would have no problem helping her get/build an S, S2, or even 951. The biggest safety concern is the operator behind the wheel and with precautionary measures such as defensive driving classes, etc. I don't see a performance car being a problem. I might weld up a roll cage in her car if I feel nervous
Old 05-27-2014, 11:18 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id approve on a 944 turbo so i'm not being a hypocrite. BUT how sensible is your kid. My car was a handfull to drive coming from something slow that got to 100 km/h in 10 seconds.. It also came to be boosted to 15 psi and upgraded chips & Wastegate..
Old 05-27-2014, 11:30 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If he is really as responsible as you say give your son a chance.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:40 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

I think the question you have to ask is does he have the money to maintain it and fix it? You say you are paying half the cost of buying it but that will be a fraction of the cost of ownership. IMO it's a great and safe car for a "sensible" young driver, however there is nothing more frustrating than a 944 on jack stands waiting until you have the money to fix it. It's gonna cost money, it's a 30yo car, having one and not being able to enjoy it, or worse still, skipping the maintenance and overlooking repairs, is a road to disaster. Seen many 944's ruined by younger drivers who buy cheap, don't have the money and let them go to crap.

Seems like you are well versed in Porsches though so you probably have that covered.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:44 PM
yorkee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

deleted...
Old 05-28-2014, 12:00 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by konakat
I would approve of an 8v N/A car. A later one with airbags and ABS would be perfect. You can't do anything too dumb with 150hp.
Virtually non-existant. For the base model 8V NA, only 1989 had ABS standard. Airbags were never standard in any 8V NA car in any market. They might have been optional. And if they were, rarely selected.

Remember you're talking about early airbag technology. Not to mention the airbags are very old at this point and likely haven't been replaced. There is manufacturer literature about airbag replacement schedules. But I might add that I know nothing about airbags, and how they compare to today.

And yes, +1 in that it is possible to do something dumb with 150hp.

Also, in my opinion, you can't just 'slap in' a rollcage. A cage is designed to work in tandem with a lot of other things, which isn't just a seat.

I'm also not saying airbags are better. It's argued that airbags in a track situation are not a great mix.

Another thing about the rollcage: remove the headliner in your 944, and you'll find there is foam lining the entire roof interior. It's there for a reason.

I urge the OP to really consider this amongst you and your wife. Not that I'm doubting you have, but instead I would advise you to take what's posted on this site for what it is - the internet. There are so many factors to this question. Like local traffic, etc. Look at the big plan, the overall. What do you, your wife, and your son each want? What SHOULD you want? What's reasonable. I may be preaching to the choir here, but something to consider. Ask a friend, someone who might give you a good opinion. Talk this out in person.

Please keep in mind I am not an engineer. Not a structural engineer, nor any engineer. This is an internet post you're reading. And is it too long? Probably.

IMHO, and I stress the My Humble part of that acronym: knowing the limits of the car, the driver knowing the limits of him/herself, etc. is terrific. In an age of computers, the average motorist knows little, if anything, of the car's limits. But it's also alertness for other ****s out on the road as well.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 05-28-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:14 AM
yorkee
Instructor

Originally Posted by FrenchToast

You can't just 'slap in' a rollcage. A cage is designed to work in tandem with a lot of other things, which isn't just a seat.

Another thing: remove the headliner in your 944, and you'll find there is foam lining the entire roof interior. It's there for a reason.

I urge the OP to really consider this amongst you and your wife. Not that I'm doubting you have, but instead I would advise you to take what's posted on this site for what it is - the internet. There are so many factors to this question. Like local traffic, etc.

IMHO, and I stress the My Humble part of that acronym: knowing the limits of the car, the driver knowing the limits of him/herself, etc. is terrific. In an age of computers, the average motorist knows little, if anything, of the car's limits. But it's also alertness for other ****s out on the road as well.
just rethink my post that lead me to some google search of rollcage safety. I take my word back... hence I deleted my post.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:21 AM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts

I would have no problem with it. An NA has 143hp. They can take a hard hit. My old 83 took one for the team when I got rear ended hard. You should have seen the other car.

They are slower than a modern Honda Civic. They handle and stop well. And since it's a Porsche, it will be his pride and joy and he will take care of it. I will probably put my sons in either a 944 or a 924S.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:49 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

All in the family. This would represent a golden opportunity for father/son bonding. Having Porsches for everyone in the family is cool and working on and teaching the fine art of owning and operating a "real" sports car will create positive memories that can't be minimized. I only wish my father and I could have had that opportunity. A great, potentially budget minded starter car that doesn't have to be embarassing for him to be seen in. Volvo wagon? Please!!
Old 05-28-2014, 01:05 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

ok, the voice of experience - I bought both my daughters 944s, but first they drove my 51 dodge for a few years - each had to do significant work on the car, both learned from that and care well for their cars, and both did significant work (like clutch change) on their 944s. I drove one daughter's 944 off a cliff while trying to locate a fuel system problem ( a test drive gone bad, you may say, no idea if there was a failure or my fault, at about 25 mph on slippery pavement it just suddenly made a sharp right and went over the cliff and down about 35 feet) - we walked away unhurt, but the car died. So I bought her another that she drives. I've been hit pretty hard in a 944 and also in a 993 - I'm still alive and unhurt from the experience. I did get hurt in a 356B, but that was at a younger and more stupid age

The 944, in my opinion is a good car. For a 16 year old, I would get one that didn't run but was complete and had a decent interior - then work with the kid to fix the car, both mechanically and body/paint. After 8 to 12 months of hard work, the car will be beautiful and roadworthy, and with that much blood/sweat/and tears in it, the kid will be less likely to do something crazy. And, get a manual transmission - many folks can't drive one and that will limit the desire of friends to borrow it. And definitely an NA - it's easier to work on and more reliable than the S, a little slower, but just as comfortable.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:19 AM
jagdhund
Advanced

I had some kart racing and atv experience when I was young, but driving on the road with careless drivers isn't the same as on a race track were everyone is paying attention. I don't think the 944 would be dangerous, but as a new driver he is bound to have at least one fender bender and with the price to fix and maintain any Porsche, it probably isn't an ideal car for a first time driver. I would wait at least a year, or maybe 2 (would make a nice graduation or 18th birthday present)
Old 05-28-2014, 01:21 AM
jagdhund
Advanced

Originally Posted by sausagehacker
I bought my NA at 20 and I'm the same way - it's taught me how to work with my hands and solve problems myself (because I can in no way afford to take it to a shop!)

Also an engineering student, it's helped give me a thirst for knowledge in that area and I love seeing classroom knowledge cross over to the real world. I wrote my fluid mechanics final paper on 944 oil flow
funny I'm in the exact same boat, bought my car 2 months ago for my 20th birthday, I'm working part time and also in school for engineering.

Quick Reply: Would you approve a 944 for a 16 year old?