Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C compressor not turning on

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 11:22 PM
bobzdar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gave up and jumpered power from the cold side of the fuse to the a/c relay. A/c will always be on, but still goes through the low pressure switch and through the relay so the DME can shut off the a/c if it wants to. I just can't control the compressor with the switch. Now I have to wait for it to warm up to make sure the whole system works as it was too cold for the CC unit to give me cold air (upper 50's outside).
Old 08-03-2024, 08:20 PM
Guya
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem

Originally Posted by bobzdar
Does anyone know exactly what the freeze protection switch looks like? I think I have it narrowed down to that as the a/c switch works (I tested the resistance open and closed and it read properly, plus it's turning on one of the hvac box vacuum solenoids when depressed). There's just no power getting to the relay. I tried jumping positive power from the battery through pin 87a on the relay which leads to the low pressure switch and then the compressor and bam, nice cold a/c and the compressor stayed on, so it's definitely not the pressure switch or compressor or the wiring from the fuse box to the compressor.

I'm going to check the output of the climate control unit and make sure voltage is getting out of it, then I'm going to hunt down the freeze protection switch as my guess is that's either bad or disconnected.
I have the same exact issue you’re having I’ve done all the testing that you have done as well. I have put a power probe into the AC relay location and jumped it to power and the compressor turns on I have tried two different climate control units as well as switches my AC light lights up just just like yours. I keep watching this post for different ideas.

Quick Reply: A/C compressor not turning on