Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok so is fiberglass a taboo subject?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003 | 11:51 AM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

I'd be in for one for sure if you could incorporate the NACA ducts a' la the 968 Turbo S.
Definitely.
Old 08-04-2003 | 06:32 PM
savage944
Racer

OK so from what I can see, everyone is very in favor of Hood ducts like the 968 and the 924 Turbo on both sides?

Also their is interest in the Ducting for the Intercooler as in the 968.

Might be very do able... I will have to work on some dimensions. If anyone has some to contribute, let me know.

As far as room for ducting under the hood.... Their should be room. But I havent got a turbo around to measure so if some one can give me some dimension on where the intercooler sits and all that... we can go from their.
Old 08-04-2003 | 06:52 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, as far as scrapping the idea on my hood, there wa no support in the hood and was worried about long term. We rolled the rear lip down and raised the front lip about 1/4-1/2 inch. There wa some body work in there, I was unsure how long it would last, one lil oopsie and it was done. I didn't want to have to worrie about that with a (at the time) custom flamed, tri-coat paintjob that would be impossible to match. I have the stock non-vented hood that we're going to buff out and hang on my garage wall. The yellow with yellow flames. I wish that paint job would have worked out, UGH!
Old 08-04-2003 | 07:28 PM
savage944
Racer

Nine-44

Yea a problem with just opening up the hood is the amount of air... pushing against the hood, after you cut through the center support... can comprimise the hood. and at speed.... next thing you know you have a nice bend or bowing of the hood in the middle.. seems to me it would flex and bend a lot. Now if you reinforced the area around the opening.... with some kind of brace. Might work out.

I plan on adding bracing as needed. Guest that will be My Stress testing of the final product. I will want to see how it holds up at speed... take it out and get it up to 100+ assuming the absence of deterents, like law enforcement. Making passes at the track might give me some idea... but ...

I think the racer crowd can offer some insight here... need someone who has a vented or scooped hood that they put through the ringer and here what they have to say.

With my Hood I will be opening it up for venting and for a Ram AIR/cold air setup.

1.) First thing will be molding/flush mounting openings/scoop in hood and ensure that integraty of hood is not compromised.

2.) Build a sheetmetal Cold air reciever Box that matches the opening up with Filter.

3.)Have to include drain off for water in box, that would come in when it rains.

4.) also install heat shield if necessary to further isolate box, paint box etc

5.) Plumb box to Intake or Turbo. ---> gives turbo or intake nice source of cold air.

If working with a design like the 968 Turbo S or RS then one of the side ducts is just pulling cool air into the engine bay.

The center Duct is for better air flow across the Intercooler. I keep thinking about the best pace for the intercooler, I have seen a few different setups.

Not sure what is the best.

I have thought about adding radiator style fan to intercooler to pull more air across the surface, and sprayers, etc... lot of ideas. As far as the fans go. I figure I could source the setup from small car radiator setup and wire to a switch and/or rpm, throttle or boost trigger...

I worked it out on paper even the wiring... but havent had time to poor over a junk yard and take some measure ments... another factor is space in stock location or in front... I like the front idea... If I went to GTR style body. Lot of ideas.

Both cars neither being turbos, I have some room for improv of the mounting and size of intercooler, relative to space.

I have seen Trans coolers with dual fans mounted up... so maybe I could find one relative in size to the intercooler I chose and a little fabrication... Heck maybe someone can come up with a marketable kit for adding it to the stock intercooler... Who knows
Old 08-05-2003 | 01:45 AM
savage944
Racer

Ok so I am looking into the NACA scoop set up.. anyone want to coment on what sized the would like to see... 2", 6", 8, 10, 12, etc... opening.

Anyone know how big the the stcok 924 Turbo NACA stytle scoop is? Dimensions Please.

Also same question on 968 Turbo S and RS
Old 08-05-2003 | 03:33 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

I may be interested in a CF or fiberglass vent only, if you decide to produce them. Or in your searching, send me a link to a site that sells them if you find one. Thanks
Old 08-05-2003 | 12:03 PM
savage944
Racer

Nine-44 check out the site listed under the other posts. They have all a few to choose from.

All differnet sizes... I know a few places that also do duct from off the open end to like a 2.5" to 3" mounting for hoses... or something similar... depends on if you are routing the air someplace or just directing cool air into the engine compartmet.

Here is a sample of the basic layouts.... I am still trying to get measurements on the stock 924 turbo and 968 openings
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2003 | 12:37 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

To throw in my two cents, I would be interested in a reasonably priced (your prices are dead on for gfrp) hood that had the 968 style intercooler duct, if it is effective in increasing the efficiency of the intercooler.

Can anyone confirm that this provides a benefit on the 951?

To sweeten the deal, see if your friend can throw on a couple of sheets of carbon fiber. It shouldn't affect the process at all, will up the price marginally, and would keep me from having to paint the hood, as it would go on my black car. This is assuming that the resin that he's using blocks UV rays. I'd be completely willing to pay the difference in price for materials.

-Jon
'88 951
Old 08-05-2003 | 08:10 PM
savage944
Racer

Jon,

gfrp? not sure what that stands for... but yea I would like to hear people way in on the benefit of the center scoop on the 968 for the 951...

As for Carbon Fiber, not sure... I know he generally stays away from it, but he is very reasonable.

I will talk with him.
Old 08-05-2003 | 09:05 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I'm looking at a non traditional setup of a passenger's sside intake. I don't want to suck all the dirt off of the treets with a low mount intake. I'll make all the necesary provisions for dealing with water too. I jut need a nice vent to put into my CF hood and I'm also looking into the 968 IC vent to let off some extra air from the ducted Fiberwerks nose. Thanks
Old 08-05-2003 | 09:07 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

gfrp, general fiberglass race parts?
Old 08-05-2003 | 11:19 PM
savage944
Racer

light comes on.... ok I get it...
Old 08-05-2003 | 11:26 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, trying to be cool. I believe gfrp is glass fiber reinforced plastic. fiber glass.
Old 08-05-2003 | 11:29 PM
savage944
Racer

Jon,

no worries... must be all the fumes from working on the brakes on my eclipse... yea I know not a porsche but works well for back up vehicle.
Old 08-06-2003 | 01:11 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

I won't hold the Eclipse against you. No car snobbing from me. If it's fast or fun, it's all good.

Quick Reply: Ok so is fiberglass a taboo subject?