Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you chasing an overheating issue? Here's a thought

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:21 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Are you chasing an overheating issue? Here's a thought

For all those turbo cars chasing overheating problems and have ruled out all obvious things consider the oil thermostat. I've been chasing a creeping overheating issue since I've owned the car. And while I'm not 100% sure this has fixed it I'm pretty sure.

I noticed that when my fan would first kick on the needle would drop to the first white mark, but after the oil was fully warmed up the needle wasn't dropping as much and this was exaggerated after driving for longer periods. I also noticed that when I would check the oil after driving a while the dipstick was super hot. I mean scalding. I got under my car and felt the metal part of the oil lines leading to the oil cooler and they were cool. This made me realize there was no oil circulating to the cooler.

So I bought a new thermostat, and it opens at 95c and not 105c like my original. So now as I drive once the oil is warmed up the temp drops a lot quicker on the move and stays more stable and lower.

Just some quick thoughts for any one experiencing similar issues.

Quick Reply: Are you chasing an overheating issue? Here's a thought