Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 NA rebuild cam tower and belts (and more)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014 | 01:47 PM
James_944
Instructor

Update again.
cam tower cleaned and painted as it still looked dirty after a scrub and degrease.
New bolts obtained.
Followers/tappets have been marinated in new oil.
Torco engine assembly lube ready for camshaft and follower re-install.
Looks like the main gasket is dry fitted, rear cork gasket seems to have differing opinions....... Dry or not.

I may try hammering a 12 point socket on the sump plug and see if that shifts it. If not my new trick of the cheesehead bit into a freshly drilled hole (on the surface, not right through it).
If not, oil drain from turbo oil return with car jacked higher on one side in attempt to get as much out as possible.

More degreasing to do, general cleaning etc before I replace the front seals and way before getting to new pulleys and belts.

Need to try and find a new (secondhand) belt housing, at least the rear as mine is damaged.
Old 05-14-2014 | 01:52 PM
James_944
Instructor

Also, I noticed I only have 1 locating lug on the head to locate the cam tower on. RHS is missing. Is that normal? It came off like that.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2014 | 06:39 PM
James_944
Instructor

Hi Guys
Another update, some delays in between them due to the wonderful UK weather.
Cam tower back on with new gaskets and o rings.
I had the entire shaft out to check for any obvious wear signs. All looks normal to me.
When reinstalling I used most of a tube of engine assembly lube, the really sticky red stuff especially for camshafts.
Marinated my tappets in new oil for a few days before but managed to keep them in the same original order.
New bolts replaced a few rounded ones. Torqued up and all looks great.
One scary moment when my 6mm allen fell into the tower. It is about long enough to reach through the screw cap and seat into the socket, but it caused a slight panic when I realised that this is the very tool I need to get it out with.
Anyway, I managed to fish it out by moving it with a long screwdriver then grabbing it with tweezers.

Tomorrow I out on the distributor housing and main seal etc.

I am a bit concerned about the fuel lines. The 2 hoses that run over the tower to the rail are odd. One has been modified or tampered with to stop a leak.
I am thinking of swapping out there 2 hoses with new stainless steel braided ones re-routed along the rear of the firewall/bulkhead and then bring them over next to the fuel rail along the rear next to the inlet manifold.

Is this anything anybody else has done/attempted?

Thanks again.
James

Quick Reply: 86 NA rebuild cam tower and belts (and more)