Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone ever seen this with a Motor Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 03:10 AM
Melchior
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Has anyone ever seen this with a Motor Mount?

I put new OEM motor mounts that I bought from Paragon in my car about two months ago due to vibration that has existed since I bought the car last year. After the install, the vibration was still there but slightly dampened. My shop could not figure out what the problem was since these were not AfterMarket P.O.S. but OEM. After chasing the problem; inspecting everything from tranny mount to balance shafts, we made a startling discovery. The right motor mount 'tab' was not seating all the way up into the little pocket to the right of the mount. Kinda hard to explain but if you look at the motor mount, there is a rubber 'tab' that sticks out of side. Well, I guess it is supposed to tuck into the chassis pocket and make solid contact with the inside top potion of it. Mine had about a 1cm space in between and this was causing the car's vibration. We fashioned a shim by cutting out a long wedge from a black rubber mallet and filled the gap that existed. Now, all of the vibration is gone and the car feels new again. Has anyone experienced this before?

The mounts on both sides are well within spec by using the measured piece of wire to check clearance distance that is described in Clark's Garage write-up. We think that the car my have been in an accident that might have warped the frame slightly on the passenger side. This is because, with a proper alignment, the right front tire is closer (by half inch) to the front of the fender than the left tire. Any thoughts?
Old 07-31-2003, 03:21 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it's been hit before. I'll have to look at mine. I recall that the mount were a tight fit on my motor, I had the crossmember on the motor when I installed it. I had to fight it to get it on there too.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:31 AM
Melchior
Pro

I lowered the cross-member to install the mounts. I don't think that anything shifts around that may have caused this problem. Everything appears tight, with no gaps.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:40 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

have you run a carfax?

it may still be free (if it is on west cost time )
Old 07-31-2003, 03:41 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

http://beta.kpix.com/xtra/focus/shopping/used_cars.html
Old 07-31-2003, 03:48 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it was the driver's side that had round holes, and the passenger's side had the oval adjustable holes. It was for adjusting the crossmember to the car. The width of the crossmember should not vary, the brackets on the motor should be good too, maybe one it bent? I don't recall any adjustability in the related parts, something is not right with it. I'd gues it to be the longer driver's side mounting bracket from the motor to the mount. I really doubt that the crosmember would bend in a manner that would affect the width. Possibly an impact bent a bracket from shifting parts or momentum. Or the crossmember was hurt and replaced but not another posibly bent part. I'm not trying to bring you down, jut trying to help figure it out. If the car has never been wrecked, I'm totally lost as to why things are not lining up right.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:57 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry to inform you I think you have the aftermarket motormounts.

Why? Because when I ordered my motormounts from Wiseass, i mean Weissach, I specifically asked for OEM updated motormounts. They came in at $90 CDN each. (I thought that was pretty cheap...)

I had the crossmembers out of the car, and tried to fit them to the crossmember to test them, but the rubber lip wouldn't fit in the groove in the crossmember. The reason was actually the little bump in the metal surface wouldn't fit into it's groove on the crossmember. Look at your see if it's the same.

I looked VERY VERY carefully at the motormount and it's box, only to find that it said something to the tune of "reproduction" on the rubber section of the motormount. I was pissed.

I went to Weissach and complained. They said it was indeed the aftermarket mount they gave me. When I said it didn't fit, and I needed OEM, they charged me the difference ($70!!! each) and when they came in, they where in a grey box with PORSCHE labeled on them. Then I knew I had the right part. The aftermarket ones come in a blue box, i think.

Anyways, Maybe your were OEM and I'm wrong.. but this was my experience...

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever seen this with a Motor Mount?