Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another new guy with problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 06:41 PM
DM333
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another new guy with problems

hi, this last weekend i bought my first Porsche, an '86 944 NA with 150k on it, i've got a few issues and was hoping to fix them myself and wanted some advice/help. the biggest issue arises when i turn the key, it either takes a minute of trying to fire while turning over or it starts right up, i think its either the distributor cap or an issue with the fuel pump? also the check engine light comes on and off when turning hard left or braking hard. also has an oil leak up front from an unknown source, its a very slow drip though. also the clutch i believe is going out, i have a centerforce stage two kit that came with the car and was hoping anyone knew what it took or if it was worth it to install something like that on my own. thanks for any advice!
Old 03-19-2014, 01:20 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. change ignition wires, dist cap, and rotor and plugs if you suspect ignition - this sounds right for the symptoms you describe, probably not fuel
2. change main bearing seal, you will want a flywheel lock to do that
3. if the clutch is failing, just change it - it's tedious but not all that hard
4. flush brake fluid now, most owners don't do it - remember to flush clutch cyl also
Old 03-19-2014, 01:57 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

With old cars like this, and in the absence of any maintenance history, this is my suggested list of priorities for your car:
1. Vacuum line check (search posts on this website for procedures using compressed air). Also look at the throttle body shaft for bubbles. $20 "O" ring kits available for this.
2. Get a flourescent dye tracer kit at auto parts store on from amazon. They're cheap and will help isolate oil leaks on the engine or any other area of concern.
3. Since you have oil leak issues, and since all the other rubber seals are just as old, plan on replacing all the front of engine oil seals, belts and water pump (while you're in there).
4. Check the clutch inspection port on the lower bell housing for rubber junk in the opening and also the wear limit, per Haynes manual or Clark's Garage web-site. If you replace the clutch, plan on doing the rear main crankshaft seal while you're there (flywheel will need to be removed and buy new bolts for it).
5. Flush brake and clutch fluids.
6. Flush coolant.
7. Check and replace as necessary, radiator hoses.
8. Replace iginition rotor, cap and plugs.
9. Optional but recommended for pleasure: short shifter from "944online.com. Around $80, easy to install but will put a smile on your face every time you drive your car.
This is a starting point, as these cars will continue to require more repairs as time goes by just because they're old and high mileage. They're a labor of love or a pain in the posterior, depending on how you look at them.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:55 AM
Sixline
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
9. Optional but recommended for pleasure: short shifter from "944online.com. Around $80, easy to install but will put a smile on your face every time you drive your car.
Might I suggest Only944's short shifter instead. Nothing wrong with 944online but Only944's is cheaper and doesn't require a core.

http://only944.com/partscatalog/only/shortshifter/

You can pick up his shifter lever and the boot as well if needed.

Quick Reply: another new guy with problems