Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 944S: Climate Control issue: slight heat, not hot heat

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:21 PM
turbokev
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 944S: Climate Control issue: slight heat, not hot heat

New thread regarding my newly acquired 944S and the climate control issue.

First off, what's been done / checked:

-Coolant is full, clean, and has been bled..there was no air in the system
-Heat control valve is in open position sending hot liquid to the heater core
-Blower motor fan works in all positions
-Sliders on the control module move air to floor, vents, defrost etc
-Tube that goes from the little round vent on the dash to the interior temp sensor is in place
-All fuses related to the heat / AC / climate control tested and are good

Probably not related, but the AC button lights up when engaged, but I don't think the compressor is turning on, and the engine cooling fans don't turn on.

The cooling fans do turn on after the car is shut off for a minute, that's normal.

In the picture below.. (taken from drivers floor looking up behind center console)

#1 moves when defrost button is pushed. Blower fan goes to high. Shut the defrost off and it returns back to original position.
#2 moves as I adjust the temperature ****..seems to have full travel.

In this next picture.. (taken through the glove box opening with the glove box removed)

#1 These pipes are piping hot when car is warmed up..super hot. Definitely sending hot liquid through the core.
#2 This blows cool air all the time in to the glove box..
#3 This is blowing 'warm' air.. not ambient temp.. but it does not blow 'hot' air.

So, Core has hot liquid flowing through it, temp control **** moves the flapper, but car only blows 'kinda sorta luke warm' air out the vents.

Is there another blend door I'm not seeing? Maybe thats controlled by the interior temp sensor?

I don't hear a little fan running for the interior temp sensor..

Any write up on removing and cleaning the interior temp sensor?

Anything else you can think of I should be checking?

Thank you!
Old 03-12-2014, 02:38 PM
turbokev
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FIXED!!

In the first picture in my above post, note #2.. The rod was clipped in with threads showing above the clip.

Someone on Pelican suggested taking that rod off and moving it up and down manually to see if the heat got better..

As soon as I unclipped that rod and moved it down a bit I could feel heat pouring out the vents..

Whoever replaced the clips on this car had secured the rod too high so the blend door wasn't opening far enough.

I moved the rod down about 3/4 inch and reconnected it.. Heat works now~

So glad it was such an easy (inexpensive) fix.. I've been chasing this for a week..

Quick Reply: 87 944S: Climate Control issue: slight heat, not hot heat