Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 944 Turbo Owner with Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 04:00 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 944 Turbo Owner with Questions

A couple of n00b questions for ya-

After driving for about 30 min, I stop and turn off the engine and hear the coolant bubbeling in the tank. And when I fill the tank to the max line when it is cold, it runs out of the overflow when hot... Is this normal??

My turn signals work but sometimes do not shut off after turning - anyone have that problem?

Another prob I have with the right front turn signal is when the car is running or the ignition is on and I turn on the left turn signal, it flashes 2x as fast as normal indicating a burnt out bulb and the left front turn signal doesn't work... but when I take out the key and click on the turn signal (left) the car chimes and the left front and back turn signal lights light solid...

Sometimes when I turn off the engine the turbo water pump doesn't work, sometimes it does, and then sometimes it stays on for more than 4 hours!

My oil level needle is pegged at 8 as soon as I turn the ignition to the on position and stays there untill I turn off the iginition AND take the key out... if I turn off the ignition and leave the key in, it remains pegged.

Anyone have similar probs or can tell me how to fix some of mine
(my Hayne's manual won't come for a couple of days)

--------------------------UPDATE BELOW------------------------------

Last edited by cpt_koolbeenz; 07-30-2003 at 03:16 AM.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:16 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: New 944 Turbo Owner with Questions

Originally posted by cpt_koolbeenz After driving for about 30 min, I stop and turn off the engine and hear the coolant bubbeling in the tank. And when I fill the tank to the max line when it is cold, it runs out of the overflow when hot... Is this normal??
This does not sound good. Can you give more information on this car? Year, miles, etc.? From past posts, what you're describing sounds headgasket related...

Originally posted by cpt_koolbeenz My turn signals work but sometimes do not shut off after turning - anyone have that problem
The turn signal switch (control stalk behind the steering wheel) is faulty and is not cancelling out when you steer back. The switch must be taken out and may be repairable but otherwise it's time for a new turn signal switch.

Originally posted by cpt_koolbeenz Another prob I have with the right front turn signal is when the car is running or the ignition is on and I turn on the left turn signal, it flashes 2x as fast as normal indicating a burnt out bulb and the left front turn signal doesn't work... but when I take out the key and click on the turn signal (left) the car chimes and the left front and back turn signal lights light solid...
On U.S. cars, the front turn signals have dual-filament bulbs because they double as parking lights. Check them again, and you may find that one of the filaments is burnt out.

Originally posted by cpt_koolbeenz Sometimes when I turn off the engine the turbo water pump doesn't work, sometimes it does, and then sometimes it stays on for more than 4 hours!
Again, depending on the car's mileage, it may be time for a new turbo water pump.

Originally posted by cpt_koolbeenz My oil level needle is pegged at 8 as soon as I turn the ignition to the on position and stays there untill I turn off the iginition AND take the key out... if I turn off the ignition and leave the key in, it remains pegged.
Did you run a compression check on this car before buying it? I tend to believe the gauges rather than not, but this one sounds like the sender is faulty or has a dirty connection.

Lastly, be sure to look up these problems in the archives for lots more information on their diagnosis and possible solutions.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:01 AM
Sami951
Drifting

I always thought the bubbling in coolant was just caused by the small water pump rushing liquid to the turbo...

It shouldn't overflow though, is your car running way too hot??
Old 07-29-2003, 05:35 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I never hear any noise from the expansion tank in my 951 after driving 30 minutes. IIRC Konstantin had a similar overflow situation last summer and it turned out to be the headgasket .
Old 07-29-2003, 06:07 AM
led
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could it be... a clogged radiator? Fans not working properly (thermo switch)? Air pockets?
Old 07-29-2003, 06:14 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Luis is right - not good. Expansion tank should not be bubbling at all. You have air in the system. Bleed the system and if not OK when done - look for causes of leak. Could be the rad, heater matrix, hoses or it could be the gasket...

The turbo coolant pump is audible (runs for 30 seconds after ignition shut off if you have 88+ model - you can hear it - but does not create bubbles.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:08 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Luis is right on the bulb, ask me how I know. Also check your front turn signals to any rust or grounded out wires, as this will cause it as well.

If your water pump is staying on that long sometimes, your temp sensor is toast.

Your coolant tank should be filled to "MINIMUM" level, remember this is an expansion tank. Yes the system can draw from it if it needs it but
the main function is expansion - provided everything else is OK. The tank gets very small quickly as it conforms to the inner fender well
shape. Take some coolant out and try it again. You might be able to see a little flow from the upper hose where the water from the turbo
aux pump puts it back in but it should not bubble. Also check you water pump to make sure it is or was drilled where the turbo thermostat is,,many
have reported that their's was not - me too. The PO had a water pump changed at a dealership and they didn't drill the pc out.
Good luck.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:15 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Okay...

After driving it all day today the temp sensor stayed below half all day (85-90 degrees outside). The coolant in the tank is at or a little below the min line and doesn't bubble anymore... (I hope it is okay now). Wiggled some wires going to the turbo waterpump and it seems to be workin okay now... the oil pressure meter is pegged at 8 just when I turn on the ignition so... I think it is either the guage or wiring?? (I got a haynes manual today so now I can start tinkering!!) I figured out the lights... my mistake + a burnt bulb.

The car has 104k and seems to be in overall good mechanical shape. Although I just found the source of the loud groaning to be the AC compressor- time for a new one?! The clutch doesn't engage when the button is pressed... not sure if it is because of no freon or what...

The turn signals get pretty annoying when driving in town- has anyone done a replacement/repair of the turn signals? About how long (if you have the right tools and parts).

Thanks for your input guys... (btw - I usu. try to search my probs b4 i post

Chris
Old 07-30-2003, 04:15 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Concerning the front and rear bulbs staying on, they do that - it's a safety thing. If you leave the signal handle left or right and get out of the car - the lights on said side will remain lit.

944S Boyeee
Old 07-30-2003, 04:38 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Does the oil pressure gauge stay pegged while driving? If the wires on the sender are reversed it will peg the gauge as soon as you turn the key. Reverse the wires on the sender and see if that makes a difference.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:39 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

turn signal cancel piece was $3 for my 85 RX7. It should be an easy fix with a $45 porsche part.

you have to take off the wheel to get to the part on normal cars. you will get used to cancelling the signal after a few weeks.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:41 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

"Does the oil pressure gauge stay pegged while driving? If the wires on the sender are reversed it will peg the gauge as soon as you turn the key. Reverse the wires on the sender and see if that makes a difference."

Yes it does... I will try that...
Hope that is it!!
Thanks for the insight!
Old 08-01-2003, 05:15 AM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Hmm... Well it switched them and same thing...
Then i disconnected both and let them hang without touching... same thing
Then i shorted them... same thing

I left them hanging and went to do some driving and the gauge flickered then went to 0...

Must have been grounding on something...
I'm going to break out the schematic tomorrow to see why one of the wires has no ground reference what so ever...

We'll see...

Quick Reply: New 944 Turbo Owner with Questions