Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IceShark's deadcell lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 02:04 AM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the backs done for the alternate blinkers, but wasn't sure which wire to use for the fronts. There was a couple white/grey, brown and ? (can't remember). I will have to get a test light. Unless you know Dan?

Last edited by zehnd; 07-30-2003 at 02:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:04 AM
glen2002
Racer

Dan,
Just got mine and would like to add my thanks. Top notch packaging, quality and here in 5 days.
Thank You
Old 08-01-2003, 09:00 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don, I'm not sure off hand what the wire colors are on the 1983 model because Porsche used different wire colors over the years. The brown is ground, of course. So get out the multimeter or test light.

Glen, it is really amazing that the Postal Services, using just first class service, get a package from Minneapolis down to Australia and New Zealand in 5 days but can take 7 days from Minneapolis to Florida.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:40 AM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mod has been completed. Very easy to do.

Because I did the alternate blinker mod with my side markers I decided to paint my rear turn signals as well. I think it turned out okay as well.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:36 PM
led
Three Wheelin'

I just got my bulbs and sockets today! Now I can do one last "project" on the car before I start classes.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:35 AM
glen2002
Racer

Dan, just installed mine and went perfectly. You were right about new bulbs brightening everything up! Everything you included was top quality and worked like a dream. One question on my cars the inner two cells were the dead ones. I am thinking of changing the running lights to those cells and using 21watts? What do you think? Will it overheat? There still should be enough brake contrast with the original brake lights being 21w + the 5w running light. I have included a picture so people can see how your parts turned out.

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/rearlightsG.jpg
Old 08-03-2003, 11:34 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Glenn, I'm confused on which light is which on your cars.

On the lower row of cells you have the outboard cell which is the running light on North American models. Then the middle one which is the "dead cell". Then the inboard one which is actually part of the cell above it, with the combined two being the brake light. Were yours the same as this? Also, do you have rear sidemarker lights aft of the rear wheels - I can't see them? In your picture it looks like you have the brakes on, and I would assume the outboard cell is the running light and the lower center cell is not lit up. What is going on here?

Anyway, I would for sure make the outboard lower cell a running light. You always want the running lights as far out to the side of the car. As to what wattage bulb to use I would not go to 21 watt. I would stick with 5 watt or if you want go up to maybe 10 watt. While there is a potential heat issue running 21 watt continuously over hours long, the real reason is to have a big contrast in intensity between the running lights and brake lights so there is no question that you are braking. Older people in particular have a hard time noticing light intensity if the difference is not too large. Even with 5 watt running and 21 watt brake people were rear ending vehicles which is one reason the third brake light came to be.

End of day, I would stick with 5 watt or maybe jump it to 10 watt or so.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:27 PM
glen2002
Racer

Thanks Dan, on the photo I have above, all I have on is the brake lights. In Aus, the middle lower cell is a running light, the outer lower was brake and the double inner was the dead cell. It was the same on both my cars. The lower middle is rated at 5w, the rest at 21w. Sounds like I should leave as is for now or just change my running lights to the far outside. You are right we didn't get rear sidemarkers in Aus for some reason.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:55 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Okay, everyone else posted theirs I'll post mine. Sorry the pic is jittery, I've consumed about 6 CocaColas today. You can even see the difference in the middle of the day.

Iceshark, I noticed something I never have before. With key in ignition but not turned at all........if you turn on the parking lights my stereo gets power. Without the lights on the stereo has no power. It's like my headlight switch is alternate switch for tunes. Is this right or is it some crazy wiring from the PO?

>>>EDIT<<< Okay the key doesn't even need to be in the ignition. If I turn on the lights the radio works! Without the lights the radio is dead. Again no key no running engine

Last edited by ELLSSUU; 08-03-2003 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:11 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry to be OT but Arena Red is lookin better each time!
Old 08-03-2003, 08:33 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally posted by Mike Markota
Sorry to be OT but Arena Red is lookin better each time!
Thanks. We (Ringo, 951and944s) went to the PCA DE's last week and the car had lots of gawkers.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:52 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Glen, that is really strange that the Oz market cars would make the dual top and bottom cells a dead light. That is a perfect big shouting brake light. Wonder what they were thinking? Well, goes to show these cars were customized for all the different sub-markets and you better not make any assumptions across markets based on your own car.

Here is what I would do. Leave the dual inner brake lights as you now have them wired. Then turn the lower outer and lower middle both into running lights. With 5 watt bulbs in each you will get the better running light signature at a total of 10 watts, avoid any heat issues and keep the lighting differential big between running and when the brakes get hit. I've thought and played around with this a bit and that is what I've settled on.

Scott: I see you caught that there was no need for having the key in ignition to get your radio going. The PO pooched up the power source. He is pulling it off one of the hot leads when the parking lights are turned on. Turn the car off and flip the turn signal to left and then to right and that will help you figure out which hot lead it is connected to.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:30 AM
glen2002
Racer

Thanks Dan, will take your advice. Yep, the double cell really shouts compared to the single cell, am pleased to be using it as a brake light.

Interestingly the backing plate labelled vw/audi & hella is called the "europa" model. Don't know if that means it is a european thing.

Thanks again Dan for getting this together for us and the advice.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:47 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Glen,

Olli from Finland described this rear lighting scheme once. I wondered if he was drunk and not describing things correctly as I couldn't imagine why one wouldn't use the inboard two cells for brake lights and leave them dead. Olli wasn't drunk, that is exactly what happened in some markets.

Quick Reply: IceShark's deadcell lights