Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 944 xenon projector mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:11 PM
Dutch_944
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 944 xenon projector mod

You might like reading this. I do not post often here (too many fora to keep up with, but some here know me from the Dutch 944 forum), but I'd like to share this information.

I was a bit dissapointed with the output of the standard headlamps. So I went into making my own bi-xenon headlights. First of all, this is a European car. It does not have the DOT headlight bucket and the sealed beams used in the USA. They are prohibited here. So I had to look for a different option. The Golf mk1 (I guess you call them them the VW Rabbit) has the same lights.

www.theretofitsource.com
- retrofit stage III kit with Mini H1
- H4 Wiring Harness
- sealant
- JB Weld (not easy to find in Europe)

More stuff :
- heat resistant matte black paint
- VHT Wrinkle paint
- 2" rubber caps (ebay)
- set of 7" euro spec clear headights for VW Golf (Rabbit) Mk1
- Aluminium tape

Also I used the following:
- a standard PC power supply to test the lights
- a 12V adapter to test the high beam
- a dremel
- Gasoline
- an oven
- oven cleaner

First of all, an overview :

There is some serious lack of space.

Old and new (please note, these are for europe) :

First thing to do : tear the new ones apart :

And as you can see, the frames are almost the same :

The next challenge :

That needs some kind of modification. First of all, soak both headlights in normal fuel. This makes the glue weak and you will be able to pry it off.

Do yourself a favour and remove all the glue remains now.

So, I do have some space issues :

I did fix this by measuring everything, and then use SolidWorks (a sort of CAD program) to create a 3D design. 3D printing is something new to the consumer market, and my prints are made in ABS plastic. It can withstand chemicals and temperatures up t0 200 degrees Celsius. It took some prototypes, but the final result is this :

This design was printed and the result is amazing :

Then I had to do the most nerve wrecking job, cutting the brand new headlights. It has to line up perfectly. I made a jig to set it up.

The inside of the 3D model is taped with aluminuim tape :

This was done to ensure the plastic did not get too hot. I think it is heavily overengineered, but so is a Porsche.

Now for the finish :

This is done with a few layers of wrinkle paint.

I did some more modifications ont the inside. Painting the high beam switch matte black gives a nice result :

the difference in appearance :

Wanting to paint the other parts as weel, I had to use oven cleaner to get the chrome off :

primer :

matte black :

I used JB Weld to glue it all together. After glueing it, I used the sealant to seal the glass to the headlight. The only anoying bit was the amount of logo's and lettering in the glass. I decided to mount it upside down to not distort the beam. Tested in a bucket filled with water and there were no leaks.

Finally, I cut a hole in the rubber caps and mounted them.

And the final result :

I will need to make the other light too, and then fix it into my 944.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Awesome.

Would the golf 1 headlight fit in 944 as is?
Old 03-02-2014, 05:11 PM
darek_u
Pro

Voith it is almost direct fit. I did it recently. Lamp as such is a direct fit but you need to trim the frame a little - 5 min job with Dremel tool (trimming from top). Things to remember - if you want 100% factory look - these have a hole for parking light (easy to blank off with silver reflective tape - you can barely see it on mine) and vertical "bar" or support that goes across the light - you can see it, especially when lights are on but the overall effect is well worth it. It costed me around 25EUR to get pair of decent lights. Beware of cheap Chinese lamps with frames made of plastic - it's junk.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:53 PM
Dutch_944
Track Day

I still have to mount the lights. The standard mounting ring from a Golf does not fit. You have to trim a bit like I did. This is made in India, and it is all metal. I'm a bit worried since the spring is a bit powerful. It flexes the frame a bit. Hopefully everything will be fine when it's mounted in the Porsche.

I will post the results. Expect them next weekend or so. I need to assemble one of the headlights, mount the wiring harness and adjust everything.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:18 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I will search for oe new units if I get them for normal price, if not I will use Hella golf units..

I can not play with bixenon projectors since police here is very strict with headlights. If something is not right in lighting department and can not be fixed at the spot by driver, adieu license plates.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

I will be doing a retrofitsource Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit in 3 weeks when I get home from school!

For anybody looking into doing this, I highly suggest using stock Jeep JK headlights as a starting point - they have a totally clear lense, a super large dome (more clearance for the projectors), and are relatively easy and cheap to find in the used market (they don't output very well from factory so many Jeep owners upgraded). Credit goes to Keith (Kbull) for this idea, he's running a retrofit with them.

Here's how domed they are (the blue light is just a flashlight pointed on it). Surprisingly, they do clear when swinging up and down:

Dutch, I love what you did with the blacking out, especially making the projector lense look dark - that looks sick! I will most definitely be taking notes from your project when I get going on mine. Expect another HID Retrofit write-up in the forums, we can never have too many, right?
Old 03-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Dutch_944
Track Day

Actually, you can paint the high beam thingy, shroud and mirror any colour you want, as long as it can resist the heat. How about a red lens, a black shroud and black or red reflector in the colour of your car?

As you can see clearly, the red one has the DOT kit installed. I assume all cars in the US have those, but before ordering anything, I'd check to see. If it is imported afterwards it might have the euro bucket.

DOT buckets are for sale in the US for 30 bucks each or so. It is originally a G-Wagon part (Mercedes).
Old 03-02-2014, 06:50 PM
Dutch_944
Track Day

Originally Posted by Voith
Thanks. I will search for oe new units if I get them for normal price, if not I will use Hella golf units..

I can not play with bixenon projectors since police here is very strict with headlights. If something is not right in lighting department and can not be fixed at the spot by driver, adieu license plates.
Well, put the original headlights in the trunk somewhere, include a Philips screwdriver and you are able to fix it at the spot. You could also go for 3500K, which is yellow like Halogen. It appears original when driving by.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:45 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nah, you still get 1000€ ticket.

Anyway, how much would you want for two of those prints?

Which type bixenon projector did you use?
Old 03-03-2014, 07:46 AM
Dutch_944
Track Day

I did use the Morimoto Mini H1.

If you want to try it yourself, I also did use these :

Unfortuately I did not check the box before throwing it away. I for sure know it's Autopal who made them.

The printed model is inserted through the front and is has a small lip to attach it inside the headlamp. Some JB Weld on the spot and it will stay put.

Do you want me to send a pair of models to Slovenia? I will discuss pricing with the guy who prints them for me. I will quote you when I have spoken to him.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:36 PM
Dutch_944
Track Day

Second one almost complete. Tomorrow I will mount everything in my 944. Zome pics for your amusement:

Old 03-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Beautiful. Hope it all goes together good and works out. Can't wait to see beam-shots. What temp lights will you run?
Old 03-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Dutch_944
Track Day

Done! I am using 4300K like all production cars. This delivers the best light output, and it doesn't look like what we call "een petje". This is the typical bloke, driving around in a pimped VW Golf, leaning towards the middle of the car and wearing a baseball hat (petje) with the flap in his neck.

The final result:

This is not a correct setup. The front is lowered by 3cm, the back still needs to be done. The beam dropped a whopping 20 cm over the distance. That sould be around 5-10.

ballast passengerside mounted on a unused stud:

Relais is bolted on the frame rail below the airfilter:

Ballast driverside is on the collective ground :

And some mofification on the 944 is necessery :

Like stated everywhere, when the lamp frame is mounted, there is hardly any flex.

For those attempting this, I have a top tip (quoted Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear UK) : disconnect the battery, and if you remove the rubber from the top of the headlight motor, there is a **** to operate the lights manually. This saves you a flat battert, and you can check for clearance.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:53 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The final product looks very nice! Good Job!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:04 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mooi gedaan!

Quick Reply: Another 944 xenon projector mod