Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new product interest? foglight brake duct.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 02:28 PM
DangerIsland
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new product interest? foglight brake duct.

This was spawned from another thread where some people had a good idea for a product. Brake ducts like the Turbo Cup Cars that could be put in place of your fog lights. I'm still looking into what would be involved with making them, but here's the general idea:

Kit would include one pair of ducts that mount in the front bumper of a turbo or S2 car. They would look similar to the ducts on the turbo cup cars. They will be flush with the bumper, like the picture shows, but will have a more conical shape to them, not the perfectly round hole shown there. I am going to try to come up with a very function design that looks as close to what stock would be (with better rounded edges, corrent spacing, etc, not like the image shown, which looks kinda amateur). I'd also like to make them mount from the back like the foglights so there will be no exposed screws.

I would likely make them in black (my car is black, I'll be painting some black anyways) and/or primered ready for painting. I could also probably paint them to match any standard color, not sure how much I would charge for that, but if people are interested, I can look into it.

So, Post a comment if you're interested at all, and what kind of price you'd expect to pay for a kit like that. I will hopefully have pictures to show within a couple weeks of what the final designs might be like, and we can argue over which one is best. Once I know how many people are interested, I can get an idea of how many and how quickly I should do these. Also, if you'd be interested in having them painted to match your car, let me know.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:45 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be interested, but I'd like to see the various design concepts you come up with. Make mine black.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:24 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

What kind of price range would you be looking at, and how would the ducting to the brakes actually work?
Thanks
Ahmet
Old 07-26-2003, 11:01 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Obviously from the previous thread I'm interested. Let's see the design and the price.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:22 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

We found a company in england that had the brake duct / fog light integrated into one, it was a very nice unit, I can't find the page right now but I would be interested in eithe type of product, the fogs don't do me that much good anyway, just something to throw duct tape over when i'm at the track....

Keep us posted.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:58 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

just curious but why not use the entire fog light space as a duct? why limit it to just one little circle with plastic surrounding?
Old 07-27-2003, 01:14 AM
MTM
Pro

I thought the turbos and S2's already have an air duct for cooling the front brakes. In this brochure, it calls it a "ventilation shaft":

http://members.rennlist.com/944turbos/Porsche14.html

Does that alone not provide enough cooling?
Old 07-27-2003, 01:27 AM
DangerIslandII
Advanced

ahmet: I don't know about price yet. I will be looking into the best way to get the actual ducting back to the brakes. Depending on how involved the parts get, I'll figure out a price.

I could just make the front covers and leave it up to people to figure out how to get back to the actual brakes, or (more likely) actually do all the ducting.

Does anyone know if a brake cooling kit that someone sells now? I can't find any at the usual tuners.

dualblade: I would be, essentially. I don't want to have the "small hole" design that the cup cars did, mine will funnel back into the largest size hole possible, (3-4"?)

MTM: they do have one, this would be in addition to that, as a replacement for the fogs
Old 07-27-2003, 02:42 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd love a set! Two problems though, 1 I have an NA body, 2 I have a Fiberwerks nose. I don't see any valad options for me in the near future. I have side pocket vents on the FW nose anyway. Sounds like a great plan though, good luck!
Old 07-27-2003, 02:58 AM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

Cool project!

Originally posted by DangerIslandII
Does anyone know if a brake cooling kit that someone sells now? I can't find any at the usual tuners.
Yeah, that's rather odd. I'm surprised Lindsey doesn't offer anything.

OG Racing has been selling the Al Holbert designed system for a number of years. This replaces the original ducts and and the air director that mounts to the strut. If you search Rennlist, you may find some complaints about the hoses getting in the way.

Diversified Cryogenics offers a kit which will retrofit the 968 duct to a 944 control arm. At $150, the price is pretty reasonable, and they are much simpler than having to deal with a hose that has one end fixed to the car and the other end fixed to the strut. Not sure how effective they are relative to factory 944 turbo or the Holbert design.

Old 07-27-2003, 03:13 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got NA brake for now, with turbo struts and brake scoops. The side vent are in direct line with the scoop, should work well for now. If the cool project comment was intended for me, thanks, it's fun.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:34 AM
user 8430
Banned

Why not something like this

Old 07-27-2003, 07:54 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

What is the need for cooling ducts on a street car? I can see them on a track car but on a street car WHY? If you are only daily driving save the cash and just remove the backing plates. I find it hard to believe that a street car will heat the brakes up enough to warrant a duct system. Or did I miss the application it is intended for? D
Old 07-27-2003, 11:28 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

dgz I would be using it for a track / street car and I think a lot of us track our cars so it wouldn't be a bad idea to get better brake cooling.....
Old 07-27-2003, 12:02 PM
user 8430
Banned

Quick Reply: new product interest? foglight brake duct.