Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dash electrical gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 10:07 PM
maint
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default dash electrical gremlins

Trying to find some electrical gremlins in the wiring for a 1987 924S. Started out with a buzzer going ,sometimes loud, most times barely audible with an ear by the fuse panel. If I put my hand in where the radio should've been I found I could change it (easy to find you'd think).Then the dome light quit,no power. The dash is now out and I still can't find the problem. The PO hacked in a stereo and I've sorted that out except 12v constant power (can't see what he did to the wire for it). I have found 5 electric drawings supposedly for this car and each one is different.
I have hooked all switches and gauges up to their connectors and can turn them on/off to test.
Next step would be to strip the loom tape off and track the wires. Before I do that I want to throw it out here and see if anyone has an idea. Also there is an unused connector behind the console that I would like to ID. May be useful.

Last edited by maint; 02-12-2014 at 03:20 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:56 AM
maint
Instructor

Ended up staring / looking / thinking a lot on what could be the cause. I created a 8" x 16" drawing of what should be happening electrically in the dash because it is just too hard to follow the schematics when they branch off to "page 1V 12 ". MUCH easier this way ! This narrowed the search to a manageable size.
It seems my problems are threefold

1)possibly an ignition switch problem. The radio/sunroof relay is giving 12v to the switched wire for the radio without a key in the ignition. The relay is getting signal from ignition switch until I pull the connector off the ignition. Am I right in assuming there should be no voltage at 'R' until key is in or turned (see drawing)

2) pinched wire feeding up to the dome light

3) sunroof drain hose that stops 1/4" before the metal tube. Bad enough when it isn't the one above the fuses. It was intact when I last had the dash off but it must have been held stretched in place by sealent. The hose is too short and must have pulled out of the sealent. Hidden a bit by foam tape and wires.
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2014, 03:01 PM
maint
Instructor

Seems I answer my own questions. Guess it is because by the time I organize my thoughts to the point where I can write them out it begins to make sense. Anyways, it is the ignition switch. I had a parts car and took the one off that and tried it. Now will see if I can rekey the spare to match my key as the tumblers on the original one feel worn and the spare has more 'spring' in it
Old 02-12-2014, 03:02 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know the 924, but on all the 944s I've worked on the switch part of the ignition switch is separate from the tumbler, and there is a special place to drill a hole, which once drilled allows you to turn the ignition to "on" and then press on a hidden pin that will release the tumblers so you can just swap and not rekey.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:59 PM
maint
Instructor

The worn one had a few holes in it, like someone was guessing where to drill. Found a diagram that shows where to drill and the tumbler in the spare part came out easy. When I got the worn one out it was an aftermarket tumbler, a lot cheaper made than the spare I have. Thought I could rekey the spare but couldn't figure how to get the tumbler apart. Ended up taking it to a locksmith who said there was something odd with the way it was set up.
VW ( ie Porsche) uses two versions of ignition cylinder (difference is the position of double wafers on key?). My original tumbler is different from the spare. He made a new key that should work with the new version tumbler and still work on the doors.

Quick Reply: dash electrical gremlins