Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

two questions: autocross requirements, and battery tie down

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 05:57 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default two questions: autocross requirements, and battery tie down

i am interested in doing my first autocross next weekend, but i just wanted to know if anyone knows what kind of requirements there are on my car. Such as, the battery tie down, brakes must all be working, roll bar, harnesses... any of that stuff. the autocross is in michigan, and is sponsored by SCCA and a local racing club.

my next question is: what is the best method for tie down the battery. my battery slides around a bit, and has shorted out on metal on two occasions... that means it is time to fix the problem. any help would be great.

thanks!
Old 07-25-2003, 06:50 PM
MD951
Advanced

If it's a solo I you need to

1. Register with the SCCA (This can normally be done at the track)
2. Have a helmet
3. Get your car "checked" at the track (or parking lot where they hold the event)
4. I think they want you to have 40 PSI in your tires (not sure if this hold true anymore)

It's pretty straight forward, I would definitely get the battery thing straightened out first though.

There are details on the SCCA page - go to www.scca.org and look around
Old 07-25-2003, 06:55 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

It depends on who does tech inspection. What they should do is check your battery to make sure it doesn't slide and the connections are tight, check your lugs, and check your cabin for anything that isn't secured (including removing the driver's floormat).

You can buy braces that go around your battery to hold it securely in place. I'd also suggest getting a plastic shield for your + terminal.

The only safety equipment you have to have are a working seatbelt and a helmet (they might have club helmets to loan out). If you have a roll cage, harness bar, or harness, they might check it as well.

You should check your brakes before hand. You should also bleed them (maybe even replace the fluid if it's been a year or two) to improve your braking. Also check oil, transmission fluid, PS fluid, coolant, etc. You'll be putting some extreme stress on your car, so you want to make sure it's up to the task.

Also take sunblock (if you burn at all), a chair, and plenty of water. It might be good to invest in a good tire pressure gauge, since most autoXers check pressures between runs. If you don't know what pressure to start, a good trick is to put streaks of white shoe polish on the tire at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock, on the edge. If the polish gets smeared, you know your tires rolled onto the sidewall and your pressure is too low. You want to run the lowest pressure you can without rollover.

Edit:
You'll be in SM2 class because of your CF hood, BOV, and maybe some of the other things. Point out you're a first timer and ask if there's a novice class. SM2 usually has some extreme performance cars.

And if you want to get good, go to every event you can (the PCA might hold events), get instructor ridealongs when possible, and drive time-onlys (aka fun runs) if they have them.

Here's a link to the SCCA Solo II classification rules.

Last edited by Ag951; 07-25-2003 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:56 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The best way to hold the battery down is with the stock battery clamp.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:03 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Peckster
The best way to hold the battery down is with the stock battery clamp.
Doesn't work well with my optima 34R. I need to get a new clamp before autoX season starts up in September.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:59 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

There's no ridge on the bottom of the optima for the stock clamp to grab on to? Sounds like a design problem for that battery in our cars. Guess you'll have to fabricate something.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:32 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Nope, the optima looks kinda like an oversized six pack wrapped in plastic.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:46 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

hey that is great advise. thanks/ i figured out the chair/sunblock/water at the first one that i watched, but i will have to check my tire pressure and some of the fluid. the engine was just put in so most are very new. (might need new brake fluid though...).

i am going to try finding a way to get the battery tied down this weekend. the stock location doesn't have the strap or whatever was there before.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:24 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Kevin, the 944 battery is fastened by a clamp held down by a bolt that threads into a hole at the bottom of the battery compartment. It incorporates a guide for the battery cable. The clamp grips the ridge at the bottom of the battery.

There is no strap.

You'll have to go to a used parts place and buy one. Sure you can improvise something else, but it won't work as well and it will probably take more time.

Do you know anyone else with a 944? Look at their's.

Quick Reply: two questions: autocross requirements, and battery tie down