Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few questions on genuine vs. aftermarket parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014 | 09:06 PM
Taymar
Racer

Default Few questions on genuine vs. aftermarket parts

I was hoping I could get some opinions on whether to go OEM or aftermarket for a few parts please. This is for an 89 turbo. Most of them I was able to figure out but these few I would appreciate some advice on before I get all this stuff ordered.

1. oil filter housing gasket - Genuine or Victor Reinz? (I don't want to do this job twice.)

2. Rod bearings - Genuine or Glyco? (read stories of poor packaging resulting in damage)

3. Oil pan gasket - Genuine or Victor Reinz?

4. Rear cam tower cork gasket - is there any aftermarket option that is superior?

5. Power steering pump tensioner rod - is there any stronger aftermarket option available? Mine had broken and was welded back together.

6. tie rods - New Original items are out of my budget, are Lemforder good quality pieces?

7. exhaust manifold studs - Paragon sells a kit which has allen heads to aid installation. Any opinions on these vs. the stock items please?

Thank you
Old 02-02-2014 | 09:10 PM
Arominus
Race Car

The cheaper alternatives are generally fine, I've got victor reinz on both of my cars and they are fine. I did the glyco rod bearings in my S and they've been good so far (1yr) and the S revs higher than a turbo. The lemforder stuff is decent as well.
Old 02-02-2014 | 09:23 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Everything aftermarket you names is just fine. The tensioner rod and exhaust/intake hardware can be bought at www.rennbay.com
Old 02-02-2014 | 09:24 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

answers in red

Originally Posted by Taymar
I was hoping I could get some opinions on whether to go OEM or aftermarket for a few parts please. This is for an 89 turbo. Most of them I was able to figure out but these few I would appreciate some advice on before I get all this stuff ordered.

1. oil filter housing gasket - Genuine or Victor Reinz? (I don't want to do this job twice.) victor reinz are a large aftermarket brand. most people on here have used it and so have i. no problems at all.

2. Rod bearings - Genuine or Glyco? (read stories of poor packaging resulting in damage) Glyco makes the original bearings. you'll see their logo on the bearings with porsche part numbers. if you by the 'genuine' you're paying for the part number. buy the aftermarket glyco brand, you get their part number. exactly the same part

3. Oil pan gasket - Genuine or Victor Reinz? Look at your first question

4. Rear cam tower cork gasket - is there any aftermarket option that is superior?victor reinz

5. Power steering pump tensioner rod - is there any stronger aftermarket option available? Mine had broken and was welded back together.
never seen this issue. Just replace with a known good one

6. tie rods - New Original items are out of my budget, are Lemforder good quality pieces? cant help you here

7. exhaust manifold studs - Paragon sells a kit which has allen heads to aid installation. Any opinions on these vs. the stock items please? paragon ones. They're stainless steel and are better.

Thank you you're welcome
Old 02-03-2014 | 09:04 AM
Taymar
Racer

Thanks very much all, that'll definitely save me quite a bit over the porsche stuff then.

Quick Reply: Few questions on genuine vs. aftermarket parts