Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped Bolt in the Bellhousing?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 10:28 AM
johne
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Dropped Bolt in the Bellhousing?!?!?

Mother of God,
Last night I had my car completely ready to try to start up for the first time since I bought her one year ago. Then I noticed that I had forgotten to hook up one of the little ground straps to the rear of the block/bellhousing. I then taped a bolt to a socket, taped to an extension and proceeded for 20 minutes to get that little bugger in. Well I finally got frustrated and as I was pulling the bolt/washer/socket/extension assembly out it got caught on a cable and I gave it a little yank. Of course the bolt/washer popped right out of the socket and went clink clink somewhere around the back of my block/bellhousing. I proceeded to search for two hours all around that area. I also looked underneath the car to no avail. The only place I can think it might be now is in the Timing inspection hole on the top of the bellhousing. I know I was supposed to have it covered up and I have for the last ~6 months I just uncovered it last night when I thought I was done prior to remembering the ground strap.

So now WTF do I do? Tonight I am going to pull the intake manifold and see if I can get a better view of the rear of my motor. I am also going to buy one of those magnetic tool grabber pieces. Does anyone have any other ideas? I really don’t want to pull the axles, exhaust, tranny, torque tube, and bellhousing. Especially if I’m not 100% sure the bolt/washer is in the bellhousing.

Thanks,
John
Old 07-24-2003, 10:37 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you remove the inspection cover from the front bottom of the bell housing to see if it's at the bottom? If not, try that.

Good Luck!
Old 07-24-2003, 10:41 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

I think some people have had some success in removing the starter, and possibly hand turning the motor using a socket on the cranshaft pulley, and periodically looking for the bolt in the opening where the starter engages the flywheel.

I dropped a bolt in that area before, it slid down the top of the bellhousing (not into it) and I never found it again. How sure are you that it went into the hole?

-Kevin
Old 07-24-2003, 10:42 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar occurence. tried my patience. Eventually fished it out, but it took time. about 8 hours over 2 days. Be patient you'll get it, use a flexible magnet/ grabber.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:21 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

That sight hole is one of the dumbest designs on earth. Besides fishing around with a magnetic pickup, pull the starter out and rock the motor back and forth and hopefuly the parts will pop out.

That worked for me but I still have quite a few hours of charitable work I owe God for the promise I made.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:30 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Our thoughts are with you...
Old 07-24-2003, 11:44 AM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest using a flexible magnet through the starter opening. I know that Advanced Auto Parts sells a flexible wand that is about two feet with a magnetic tip. Good Luck.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:03 PM
johne
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the suggestions guys,

Skip,
I didn’t know there was a front bottom inspection plate, I’ll look at that when I get home.

Kevin,
I’m not sure that it fell in the hole but like I said I can’t find it anywhere else and it fell of my socket about 5 inches above and 2 inches over from the hole. I already pulled the starter and did not see it. I’m a little leary of rotating the flywheel just yet because I think it might cause it to get jammed between the flywheel and bellhousing. Nice avitar by the way.

Chris,
Any tips on how to go about it with the magnet or just fish like you’ve never fished before.

IceShark,
I was thinking about it, if someone would make a removable rubber plug that fit in the hole nicely I bet they could sell thousands of them.

Peckster,
I need more than thoughts I need an automatic bolt finder/grabber.
I really do appreciate the support though. This board is the best.

Ahofam,
Right now that’s my first plan after I pull the intake manifold and look around really closely one more time.

Any more ideas are definitely welcome.

Thanks,
John
Old 07-24-2003, 12:13 PM
2+2
Pro

If you have a compressor, you can try blasting some quick bursts of air in various directions to get the bolt to the bottom and then fish the bottom...good luck.....I HATE IT when stuff like this happens....
Old 07-24-2003, 12:30 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

They do make a plug for that hole. It's called duct tape. It works like a charm and even matches the color of the bellhousing.

Good luck getting that bolt. If you hand crank the engine in very, very small increments either the bolt will dislodge or you won't be able to turn it and you'll know it's in there for sure.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:40 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks. When I was replacing the ground cable with the one from Iceshark I dropped the nut. Sure as sh*t it dropped right into the hole in the bell housing without even bouncing off anything, swish, went right in. I about puked. Reach over grabbed my magnetic pointer and stuck it in the hole. Lucky, lucky me, it came right out. Needless to say, after that I plugged that damned hole with a rag while I installed the cable.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:41 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally posted by 944pete
They do make a plug for that hole. It's called duct tape. It works like a charm and even matches the color of the bellhousing.
You are more skilled than I am. I must have tried for 20 minutes to get a piece of duct tape over that opening. The other problem is that it is really dirty down there, so the tape does not stick that well. And the surface is not really flat - so the tape does not go on 100% straight.

My solution now (only for when the car is not running of course) is to stuff a latex glove in the hole. Real easy to put in (push it in just a little with a screwdriver) and remove (just pull it with a pliers or by hand).

-Kevin
Old 07-24-2003, 12:55 PM
car_slave
Pro

I dropped a bolt down their last week. I thought I was screwed, then I took the starter off and saw the bolt sitting right their in the starter hole. I just picked it up with my fingers.

good luck
Old 07-24-2003, 01:54 PM
johne
Burning Brakes

2+2,
Unfortunately I don’t have an air compressor in Atlanta, I have one in Statesboro but that is 3 hours away. That is a good idea though.

944pete,
That’s true and it’s probably what I’ll end up doing, well at least trying.

Manning,
Man you you’ve really been helping me out lately. I really appreciate it. If your near the Georgia/Florida area I’ll have to take you out for a spin in my turbo whenever she finally hits the road.

car_slave,
Bite me. I was really hoping that would happen when I’ll pulled the starter off, I even bounced around on the car to try and shake it loose. But did that work for me? Nope.

Thanks,
John
Old 07-24-2003, 05:56 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

fish with a very gentle motion. NOT like hooking a marlin!

I have also dropped a stubby screwdriver into the top hole of the trans..
Good placement engineer guys!!

Quick Reply: Dropped Bolt in the Bellhousing?!?!?