Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Severe Shaking and Low Idle - Intermentent Belt Squeel

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014 | 05:38 PM
Jimmy Jones
Intermediate

Originally Posted by konakat
There's supposed to be a chime?
On mine there was. Anytime I got in and put the key in the ignition it would start chiming (to let me know the key is in the car I guess). It would also chime when the lights were left on, but it does not do that anymore since yesterday...
Old 11-29-2014 | 04:24 PM
Jimmy Jones
Intermediate

I am having trouble chasing down this idle surge issue. It only happens once the car warms up.

I have replaced all vacuum hoses, replaced the oxygen sensor, rebuilt the throttle body, pinched off the vacuum hose to the ICV and still get the surge. Replaced the DME coolant temp sensor, rebuilt the fuel injectors, cleaned the ICV, AOS seals are new. I think I can hear a sucking sound near the intake manifold, but I'm not 100% sure if it is a sucking sound, or exactly where it's coming from.

Getting slightly frustrated. Here is a video of it.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...86665969821806
Old 11-29-2014 | 06:36 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Just a thought if it hasn't been mentioned yet. If your AFM door has a weak spring or bad pivots the door can flap back and forth between rich-lean condition, especially at idle, because the DME can't stabilize fast enough for the constant changes in airflow. Pop the air cleaner and push on the AFM door with a pencil or something smooth. It should feel fairly tight and resist opening too easily. If it doesn't close quickly or completely you need a new one. The spring tension on the AFM door is not adjustable and is bench tuned at the factory. I had a bad one (factory Bosch rebuilt) that drove me crazy for almost 2 years before I found it.

Quick Reply: Severe Shaking and Low Idle - Intermentent Belt Squeel