Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken speedometer cable

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 03:13 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile Broken speedometer cable

Well my speedo has not been functioning for over 5 months, and i figure its time to finnaly fix it .i climbed under the dash and after some serious neck stretching saw the cable connected to the speedometer with no problems, followed the cable back to the wheel...all long curves, then took off the wheel. I pryed off the dustcap to find a broken cable, the end that sticks out from the dustcap seperated from the rest of the cable. Is it a pain in the to change the cables? Can anyone give me an idea of what is involved to do this? Is this a better job to do at the shop, or can i just do it at home with common tools. It looks relativley straight foward, but many repairs on this car seem like that at the start.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:26 AM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's really not that bad to change the cables, the worst part is working under the dash. Definately do this yourself!

The procedure is very straightforward. You've done the first part. Removing the wheel and dustcap. Then start feeding the old cable up into the engine bay. It should go through a tab at the bottom of the wheel well and another on the shock tower(below the master cylinder). Next, you've got to take the instrument cluster out. First, remove the steering wheel, then the signal and wiper stalk assembly. There are two screws holding the instruments in on the top of the left and right pods. After removing them the instruments should start to move. I also had to remove the upper plastic surround of the steering column(see Haynes maunal for pics). Once it's moving, you may be able to pull it out enough to reach back and disconnect the cable. I needed to get under the dash and cram my hand in to disconnect it from the rear. The end of the cable just screws into the back of the speedo.

I then pulled the old one though into the car, fed the new one out though the same route, reconnected to the dash and buttoned everything back up. Make sure you don't kink the new cable when routing it back to the wheel. You don't want to have it break on you again.

Old 07-24-2003, 07:15 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I was hoping the fix didnt involve anythign with under the dash...i hate working under the dash in this car as my head hits the steering wheels everysingle time. But looks like ill be taking the steering wheel out for this one, ill consider tackling this on my own...just gotta buy theh cable off ebay now . Thanks for the rundown.

Quick Reply: Broken speedometer cable