Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle cam...help me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003 | 08:09 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Ok i managed to get the cam on without using that file, just took a pair of visegrips and pulled off that bushing. Anyway just the only problem now is that my pedal does not go farther than 3/4 of the way down. I tried adjusting the thorttle cables but i dont think thats working. What do i need to adjust to fix this? Is it something with the pedal?
Old 07-23-2003 | 09:14 AM
soundboy4
Racer

yeah it's not supposed to go all the way down. That's a benefit of it, to decrease pedal travel. If you hit the gas that far it SHOULD be at full throttle. Now, there is this little plastic screw that's right behind the gas pedal. You need to unscrew this until it touches the back of the pedal so that if you floor it you don't put excessive pressure on the cable and break it.

A problem i had with myne is that even unscrewing this thing all the way it still didn't touch the back of the pedal. I know this sounds real ghetto rigged but i took an old jenga block and heavy duty electrical tape to tape it black (so you don't notice it) and then to pin it very tightly onto the back of the gas pedal, which gave me the half-inch i needed for it to make contact with that plastic screw. Believe it or not it worked, and real well
Old 07-23-2003 | 10:21 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Hrm interesting. The automatic has the 'kickdown' feature which involves pressing the pedal all the way to the floor. On the floor is a white button that gets pushed in if you push the pedal farther in, this causes the transmission to downshift into 2nd or 1st depending what gear you are in. I suppose i can use a similar method with the jenga block to push that button down when at full throttle. Thanks for the tip.

All i can say is what a huge difference in acceleration!
Old 07-23-2003 | 10:26 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, I am still confused. In your pictures it looks like there are two cables coming off the stop plate on top of your throttle body. Is one of those for the cruise control or something? Does that make it funkier to adjust the cables when installing the cam?
Old 07-23-2003 | 10:27 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey, I think the white button you are talking about is the pedal stop, not a switch. Maybe that second cable I mention above is part of the kickdown. I haven't had an auto trans car in a dozen years so I can't recall right off what the cables/linkage look like in comparison.
Old 07-23-2003 | 12:04 PM
JoeyMac
Instructor

When looking at the cam from the front, the cable on the right tells the tranny to downshift.
Old 07-23-2003 | 12:18 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Seems my S2's throttle cam is mounted vertically. How the hell do I get to it?? Would a new cam improve the S2's perceived accelleration too??
Old 07-23-2003 | 12:34 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Manning
Hey, I think the white button you are talking about is the pedal stop, not a switch. Maybe that second cable I mention above is part of the kickdown. I haven't had an auto trans car in a dozen years so I can't recall right off what the cables/linkage look like in comparison.
Whoops, i stand corrected, that white screw is the pedal stop . Well i put the cam back in, and set the screw to stop with the pedal, didnt have to use a jenga block or anything . I took the car for a spin around the area, everything seemed normal (except for the obvious change in pedal movement), but i could not get the 'kickdown' to 'kick' in. Im guessing i just need to adjust that 2nd throttle cable to make it tighter. Will look into it as id rather not burn my hand on anything until it cools off. Thank you all for the help!

Quick Reply: Throttle cam...help me!!!