Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Camber and Raw Gas Smell Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 02:50 AM
RonBGA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Camber and Raw Gas Smell Questions

I haven't visited in some time and wow!...how the 924-968 forum has shrunk to a single heading! There used to be sections for most models and different topics. I guess the models on the road are really getting small in number as they age.

I have a '95 968 and have two odd issues. The first is that after taking my car for new tires and a 4 wheel alignment, the rear camber CAN'T be adjusted! I mean the adjuster turns both ways but there's no change in camber. It's the same for both rear sides. Any ideas? I'm thinking perhaps the prior owner (I've only had him for over a year now) had it adjusted and someone turned the adjusters too far one way or the other and the adjuster is no longer connected to the adjustment mechanism. It's just very odd for the problem to be on both sides. Any ideas?

Second is a raw gas smell. 2 weeks ago I noticed that when I went to put gas in there was no sound of air getting sucked into the half empty tank. The system obviously is no longer sealed. I also noticed that I get a strong smell of raw gas if either window is open. I installed a new gas cap. Same issue. No smell with windows up. Open either beyond a crack and wham, raw gas smell.

I traced the raw gas smell to the rear pass wheel area. I pulled up the carpet and took off the cover to access the gas filler associated hoses. I checked all clamps that were visible and they were tight with no leaks apparent. I pulled up the carpet to access the sender unit. Nothing odd to be seen. I went under the car and took off the access panel for the pump and checked the lines for leaks. Nothing I could see. My tank is plastic so since I didn't hit anything I find it near impossible that the tank developed a crack like the old metal ones in the early 944 model.

Any suggestions? I'm going to go over everything again tomorrow to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Thanks,

Ron Brooks
Old 11-29-2013, 03:08 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have the special tool for the rear suspension, right?

http://www.paragon-products.com/product-p/p221.htm
Old 11-29-2013, 03:23 AM
RonBGA
Intermediate

The tool is for toe adjustment. The toe is set perfectly. It's the camber that won't adjust on the rears.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:33 AM
RonBGA
Intermediate

Or do you mean the guy may have messed up by failing to keep the toe tool installed WHILE then trying to adjust the camber? I believe he was trying to adjust camber alone as the toe was already adjusted.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:02 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

you probably have a cracked hose, there is quite a bit of plumbing along the top of the fuel tank - if you put a little air pressure (say 4 or 5 pounds MAX!!!) into the fuel tank you ought to be able to hear where the leak is.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:36 AM
RonBGA
Intermediate

Excellent idea! I have to figure out how to make a good airtight rubber seal to pop a bit of air in through the fuel filler opening. I might have an old bike inner tube I could wrap around the air gun tip. I will give it a shot and report back later today. It's 3:35am here on the east coast.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:20 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

you can modify an old fuel cap, just be very careful not to put 30 psi into it and blow up the fuel tank

Quick Reply: Rear Camber and Raw Gas Smell Questions