Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Illinois Meet??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 05:59 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good. Thanks Michelle! I need to get a list of RSVP's. So far I have about 10 probables.. so I can order some chow!
Old 07-25-2003, 02:13 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris, Sunday the 3rd I am in, along with a friend who will be riding with who has a 77' World Champion ed 924 and a 81'931 (down for rebuild...cross between a SCCA 924 D class prod, and a 924GTS as far as asthetics go). Has a place of meeting been established? I assume it is Starved Rock, but I would like to confirm that. Also a time if that is possible this early in the planning. Thanks again Chris for organizing this gtg, and all who are participating.

Take Care!
Old 07-25-2003, 02:49 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys and gals..Not trying to "steal" your idea/plans but would a 944 get together at my race facility in Iowa be of interest? I have been working on a tech session for the region - PCA and all indications at the facility are a go! The facility is a 14000 sq ft+ race prep and delivery service. Very large area to park and do a BBQ etc. The technical discussion can be your choice. I can provide people in many areas to discuss, car care and repair to building a race car. There are also many cars there to ogle including a car that only six were produced and only 1 remains in the world that isn't in pieces. It is a "Banger" made by the Chrysler Corp. in the 60/70's. It was made to run at the Bonn. Salt Flats......Well you wanted ideas here's one to consider! Feel free to discuss this with me......Oh and the cost to you is free! D
Old 07-25-2003, 04:34 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Dallas- great idea- maybe later in the summer?? I'm up for a road trip at the drop of a hat.

I wanted to get the "chicago-ish" (i.e.. Il, Wis, In, Ia and others)group together, and Iowa may be too far for many of them. This time of year gets very busy very fast, school, vacations, etc. 944 fest was a ball, I'm hoping a few of them make it up here.
The roads are technically fun in NC Illinois, and if your'e not busy come on over Dallas! the more the merrier.

Its a week away and time to start a "roll call" post.

I also have to e-mail the porsche guys from "down here"

and Michelle- thanks for the gracious offer- if the gathering is small enough (10 or so)we may use your yard for a cookout, and then do a small tour from there on Saturday and or Sunday. I'll call you over the weekend.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:26 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Actually during the off season is best. We are in the middle of the season and there are cars on jacks everywhere! I was thinking in the fall when we all have that last bit of good weather to drive and get the last drive of the year in ( for those of us who store during the winter). Actually in terms of distance we are in WDM IA and located 3 miles south of I 80 off the exit. Very straight forward to get there. And enough space to park a couple hundred cars. I caught this post late but threw out the offer anyway for those who would be interested. Lets say we all get togther with a plan for next year or for the fall! My goal on this issue is to create an event for the members in the PCA on an annual basis. So there WILL be one held and encourage non PCA members to join in as well! This a plan being developed as we type and one way or another we will host a tech gathering very soon!! TIA! Dallas
Old 07-25-2003, 05:49 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Dallas If I knew you were so close I would have stopped by during my last 4 trips to Omaha in the last month or so.. Maybe next time through!
Old 07-25-2003, 06:10 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by Chris_924s
and Michelle- thanks for the gracious offer- if the gathering is small enough (10 or so)we may use your yard for a cookout, and then do a small tour from there on Saturday and or Sunday. I'll call you over the weekend.
I won't be able to extend the offer on Sunday - gotta run the kids to the airport. If I'm involved, it'll have to be Saturday.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:49 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Saturday is perfectly fine- Glad you can be part of this one!!!
Old 07-25-2003, 06:16 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Hi Chris,

I just stumbled upon this thread and have wondered why you didn't extend this get together to the 911, 993, 964 Forums???

Aug. 2nd would not work for me (on call 8/1, 2, & 3) but just curious.

Starve Rock State Park is awesome, esp. during the Fall.

Hey maybe this would make an awesome rennlist Northern MI,IN,IL & Southern WI get together - All Forums!

Old 07-28-2003, 01:00 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

absolutely correct! I didnt mean to exclude anyone- It's not just a "watercooler" event- simply a friendly get together..
Old 07-30-2003, 02:44 PM
Wildstar
Advanced

Man too bad I have prior plans for this weekend or I'd attend as well
Old 07-31-2003, 01:10 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

.. Plan on meeting at Starved Rock State park at 10 am Saturday and Sunday. The "lower" entrance by the river access. There is a substantial amount of available parking.

Directions to the River access of Starved Rock SP.

I-39 southbound: South to I-80 east (exit #59). Go 2 miles to exit #81 (Rt. 178, Utica). Go south (right) 3 miles on Rt. 178 and follow the signs into the Park.

I-39 northbound: North to Exit #48 (Tonica exit). Go east (right) for approximately 5 miles to the T-intersection, which is Rt. 178. Go north (left) for approximately 5 miles and follow the signs into the Park.

I-80 Eastbound and Westbound: Get off at exit #81 (Rt.178, Utica). Go south 3 miles on Rt. 178 and follow the signs into the Park.

From the Chicago area: Take I-294 or I-355 south to I-55. Take I-55 south to I-80. Go west on I-80, 45 miles to Exit #81 (Rt. 178, Utica). Go south (left) 3 miles on Rt. 178 and follow the signs into the Park.

There are 2 entrances to the park, 1 off of RT 6 (Locals know this) and the entrance off of RT 178, where most of you will enter.

Regarding the 2nd entrance.. The first left after entering the park will bring you into the lower section parking, near the boat docks. The visitors center is also located there.
If you get to the "Lodge" you are in the right park, wrong place- exit the lodge and hotel, bear right and you will pass the visitor's center and take a right you will enter into the parking area.
I will be setting up a temporary meeting place at the far west end of the parking area at about 10 am. This will be a good place to meet and greet, and hang out for an hour or so and wait for others to arrive. The driving park tour should begin about 11:30 and conclude about 12:30 or so, depending on how many of us there are, and how many photo ops along the way we plan. These are public roads- expect traffic (and tourists looking out the car windows instead of the road). There will be many photo ops along the way, so stops are OK, and there will be fuel available on this route as well. After that excursion I expect to be grillin and chillin.

There is no set timetable- just a frienldy get together. There is a lot of opportunity to take pics- I will have my digital camera there. I would suggest bringing a folding chair, 2-way radios, a dish to pass if you want to, picnic stuff if you like.

I will supply chicken/ ribs for BBQ and a healthy portion of beverages. (if you know me you know what I mean..Diet Coke and Miller products! LOL) We'll decide on changes depending on a consensus vote both mornings.

Quick Reply: Illinois Meet??