Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED bulbs in instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 11:52 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
just remember E=IR, and choose an appropriate R
You mean V=IR? Energy is a unit of charge times voltage (Joule = Coulomb x Volt)
Old 11-11-2013, 12:03 AM
use2windsurf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
sausagehacker - you do understand that LEDs are constant current devices, right, if you put enough voltage on them to cause them to light, they will always burn out instantly unless you have a means of controlling current. You can't just buy an LED and put power to it, it is not a light bulb. Different LEDs have different forward voltage drops (usually depends on color) and are designed to run at a specific current - 20ma is a safe current for pretty much all LEDs, many will run at much higher current.
Correct, I used the flexible LED strips with built in resistors. i think most white leds have about 3V forward voltage so I would put a 560 ohm resistor in series with each LED, connect them in parallel and drive them all with the $3 PWM dimmer I posted earlier. My profile pic is my cluster driven like this.

1987 Red 944 N/A *** NOTE- I probably posted from my iPad, please excuse any typos, bad punctuation or odd grammar, if it is unreadable, it probably was posted from my iPhone.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:10 AM
use2windsurf
Racer

here is how i did mine. first pict shows the LED strip , you cant see it when looking at it from a normal angle. 2nd pic shows it at full brightness.
I used these LEDs:
Generic LED Strip light, Waterproof LED Flexible Light Strip 12V with 300 SMD LED, 3258 Cool White. 16.4 Foot / 5 Meter. With 3M Adhesive Back. By Olympic Lighting - Amazon.com Generic LED Strip light, Waterproof LED Flexible Light Strip 12V with 300 SMD LED, 3258 Cool White. 16.4 Foot / 5 Meter. With 3M Adhesive Back. By Olympic Lighting - Amazon.com

Name:  image-1433590076.jpg
Views: 4347
Size:  456.8 KB

Name:  image-1959424630.jpg
Views: 5192
Size:  299.4 KB

1987 Red 944 N/A *** NOTE- I probably posted from my iPad, please excuse any typos, bad punctuation or odd grammar, if it is unreadable, it probably was posted from my iPhone.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:11 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by use2windsurf
Correct, I used the flexible LED strips with built in resistors. i think most white leds have about 3V forward voltage so I would put a 560 ohm resistor in series with each LED, connect them in parallel and drive them all with the $3 PWM dimmer I posted earlier. My profile pic is my cluster driven like this.

I was going to shoot for about a 2W draw on each bulb (using resistors in series with each LED) and use the current in each branch to calculate that value (2W = current squared times resistance). I just need to hunt down a wiring diagram for the early dash so I can do this correctly and not jank-ify my wiring any more than it already is.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:37 AM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

May be this old thread could help complementary:
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...arly-cars.html

and this about the color

https://rennlist.com/forums/8920708-post35.html
Old 11-11-2013, 08:24 AM
use2windsurf
Racer

Originally Posted by sausagehacker
I was going to shoot for about a 2W draw on each bulb (using resistors in series with each LED) and use the current in each branch to calculate that value (2W = current squared times resistance). I just need to hunt down a wiring diagram for the early dash so I can do this correctly and not jank-ify my wiring any more than it already is.
2 watts is too much LEDs will fry, the leds are probably rated at 20milliamps at 3V or about 60 milliwatts. the 550-650 ohm resistor in series will give you that. I think the incandescent bulbs originally in there were rated at 2 watts.

Name:  image-615109601.jpg
Views: 3980
Size:  331.2 KB

As someone else said though, this may still not be bright enough if the light tubes on the cluster are not up to snuff. hope this helps.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:15 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the drop in replacements from superbrightleds.com they worked great. I also fixed the reflective material with aluminum foil. I used cool blue for the color. It looked great.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:35 PM
Lorenzo78
AutoX

Anyone tried this kit?

http://r.ebay.com/O0lIxU

It seems specific for our cars, I'm very tempted to give it a try
Old 11-11-2013, 06:27 PM
use2windsurf
Racer

E=IR is also a common way to show Ohm's Law, that the way it was taught in the first EE circuits class I had in college.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:15 AM
FIA-F1
Racer

Alright, I'm really frustrated now. I have taken out my instrument cluster trying to get my dash visible at night again. Here's my path...
Replaced stock 944 incandescent bulbs with LED kit made for the 944 (has 3 sets of 4 LEDs to replace the triangular clear plastic lens attached to the bottom of the instrument cluster).
One of the 3 LED strips had a noticeable light shift randomly going a bit dark. It turned out two be one LED bulb going out periodically.
I replaced the LED with stock 4watt incandescent bulb...it was so dark, could not even read the gauges at night.
I bought the SuperBright LED bulbs but was not any brighter than the 4 watt incandescent. (I mean useless dark).
I reinstalled the LED strips. Center set is now bright and visible. Outer sets are on (bulbs burning) but useless dark.
I'm tired of pulling my instrument cluster out. I get the impression my instrument lights are not getting enough power. Any suggestions?
Old 11-21-2013, 05:17 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I made a LED conversion on my turbocharged 924 few years ago. Stock bulbs just barely light the gauges and are as yellow as it gets and it is totally worth it. Dimming works but is is marginal. Driving in dark is pleasure now, not too bright but everything is clearly visible. I just soldered a LED and resistor to stock bulb chassis, so it is kind of bolt-on now.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:37 AM
FIA-F1
Racer

So maybe I need to solder a resistor to my LED light sets. What ohm resistor did you use?
Old 11-21-2013, 10:08 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you checked the condition of the grounds in your car? Bad grounds can cause all kinds of wacky issues. I do believe the ground for the instrument cluster is located under the dash on the firewall. Give it a good cleaning then see what happens.

Originally Posted by FIA-F1
Alright, I'm really frustrated now. I have taken out my instrument cluster trying to get my dash visible at night again. Here's my path...
Replaced stock 944 incandescent bulbs with LED kit made for the 944 (has 3 sets of 4 LEDs to replace the triangular clear plastic lens attached to the bottom of the instrument cluster).
One of the 3 LED strips had a noticeable light shift randomly going a bit dark. It turned out two be one LED bulb going out periodically.
I replaced the LED with stock 4watt incandescent bulb...it was so dark, could not even read the gauges at night.
I bought the SuperBright LED bulbs but was not any brighter than the 4 watt incandescent. (I mean useless dark).
I reinstalled the LED strips. Center set is now bright and visible. Outer sets are on (bulbs burning) but useless dark.
I'm tired of pulling my instrument cluster out. I get the impression my instrument lights are not getting enough power. Any suggestions?
Old 11-21-2013, 10:10 AM
FIA-F1
Racer

that sounds like a worthwhile step regardless. thanks.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Ed Scherer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts
Cool Regarding dimming those LEDs...

It sounds like some of you guys are retracing some of the same steps we 928 guys took a while back.

I did the instrument cluster LED upgrade (and actually don't have a single incandescent light left anywhere on my car other than the driving/fog light H3 halogens) on my '90 928S4 a couple of years ago. Fantastic results. The dimming issue bugged me enough that I spent quite a bit of time developing a specialized dimmer module that adapts your existing dimmer rheostat/potentiometer to control dimming via a microcontroller-based PWM circuit. You can read the whole adventure in the thread PWM dimmer for instrument backlighting after upgrading to LEDs. There's also the write-up Converting Porsche 928 Interior Lighting to LEDs, which certainly wasn't intended for 944s, but has some content (general LED lighting principles, etc.) that might be of value to you anyway. It would be nice if somebody in your group took the initiative to do a similar write-up for your cars (or at least a replacement bulb cross-reference) so you don't have to have numerous people doing a lot of trial-and-error to find the optimal set LED replacement bulbs.

To date, I'm pretty sure the dimmer module (AILD-1) has only been installed in (quite a few) 928s, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing someone try it on 944s (and/or other older Porsches that also use similar rheostat-based instrumentation lighting).

Last edited by Ed Scherer; 12-04-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Quick Reply: LED bulbs in instrument cluster