Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got stranded last night

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 04:37 PM
OakRZB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Van
I bet it's either a DME problem or a fuel delivery problem...

An O2 sensor or temp sensor won't make it that undrivable.
Agreed - car will usually run with a bad O2 sensor.

With my '86 944 and '86 951, I've had episodes with TPS, fuel pump, reference sensors, catalyst, O2 sensor and DME relay - all at different times of course.

If you've able to rule-out TPS and DME (which can be easily diagnosed with a jumper), you might look at reference sensor(s) next. When my ref. sensors acted up, it would run for a while then cut out without warning, sometimes after a minute, sometimes after about a half hour.

Of course, I'd love to be wrong about this since the sensors are not an inexpensive item.

Good Luck,

-Robert
Old 11-06-2013, 06:22 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by konakat
I can rule out the TPS at least. Keeping the throttle down doesn't help the surging, and I actually have the throttle adjusted so that the idle side of the TPS doesn't activate. I was having the same problem before I made this change so at least I can rule that out.
Why is your throttle adjusted that way? Seems almost guaranted to cause a bouncy idle. What is your idle rpm?

Surging with a partially open throttle would have me looking at the AFM. Theory is the AFM is sending erratic air readings to the DME, so DME is sending erratic fuel commands to the injectors.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:39 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by divil
Here you go http://www.arnnworx.com/catalog/inde...roducts_id=191

That one will make a perfect seal on the factory fuel rail without needing sealing tape or anything like that. I tried making an adapter form a spare fuel rail cap for the HF the one, following the procedure on clark's garage, but it leaked all over the place.

That said, I am at a loss to make any sense of the reading on my Arnnworx one. As you can see he used a 40 bar gauge for measuring 2-3 bar pressure

The Arnnworx fuel pressure tester is great.
Everybody should buy one.

I have a complete fuel pressure kit in a blow mold box that I get tired of hauling out.

A solution to the fuel leaking on the Clarks DIY fuel pressure guage is to use a beveled washer that fits inside the threads of the fuel rail cap ---bevel facing the rail. The fuel rail cap threads will seal nicely around the washer. Do not overtighten. See picture.

The best beveled washer to use would be gas/oil/grease resistant but a standard water faucet beveled washer works for a couple of times.

Replace the OEM fuel rail cap and torque to 19ft lbs when finished.

Name:  Fuel pressure tester and seal.JPG
Views: 491
Size:  55.0 KB

J_AZ
Old 11-06-2013, 07:27 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

You can hose clamp any old fuel pressure gauge to the threads port on the rail if you are sure it doesn't leak and you don't crush the threads. Keep a fire extinguisher near by when opening the fuel system.

Or get a Bosch CIS compatible gauge.

Tool Aid Tool Aid
will bolt right on.

Or Star Hoffman TU-447

Or the one on Pelican

Old 11-06-2013, 11:29 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Cool tip on the bevelled washer. Actually I didn't know this before but Arnnworx actually sells the special fitting on it's own. For anyone who doesn't have stuff like npt taps and fittings lying around, this is probably the cheapest option to get a perfect seal.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:33 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cross Referenced-Bookmarked.
Excellent information on both threads.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...e-adapter.html

J_AZ
Old 11-07-2013, 11:24 AM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gtroth
Why is your throttle adjusted that way? Seems almost guaranted to cause a bouncy idle. What is your idle rpm?

Surging with a partially open throttle would have me looking at the AFM. Theory is the AFM is sending erratic air readings to the DME, so DME is sending erratic fuel commands to the injectors.
The early DME has a known issue where it cuts fuel momentarily when the TPS goes to idle, which can cause your RPMs to drop too low. My car runs way better adjusted this way.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:34 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by konakat
The early DME has a known issue where it cuts fuel momentarily when the TPS goes to idle, which can cause your RPMs to drop too low. My car runs way better adjusted this way.
Ok. So 1) your rpms were flopping when transitioning to idle and 2) your rpms were surging when warm and throttle open. Disabling the idle switch on the TPS fixed the first one. Got it. I'm tempted to think they are related, but I have no good theory to directly connect them.

Any chance you can borrow a known-good AFM?
Old 11-10-2013, 04:48 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Ok. So 1) your rpms were flopping when transitioning to idle and 2) your rpms were surging when warm and throttle open. Disabling the idle switch on the TPS fixed the first one. Got it. I'm tempted to think they are related, but I have no good theory to directly connect them.

Any chance you can borrow a known-good AFM?
I don't think it is the AFM since once it starts it keeps happening regardless of throttle position. I've been really busy this week and haven't gotten a chance to look at it, but I hope to use the oscilloscope at work to check out the position sensor. My bet is that it gets wonky at higher temps.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:52 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Which sensor will you be scoping?

Also, my S had severe hesitation sometimes only after it warmed up (and when air temp was cold). All throttle positions. Chased that one for a long time and it ended with AFM. Not the same symptoms as you (or car for at matter), but don't underestimate how confused the DME gets when the AFM lies to it! Mine was presumably underreporting air when that happened. Yours may be over reporting. Just a thought.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:50 AM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Which sensor will you be scoping?

Also, my S had severe hesitation sometimes only after it warmed up (and when air temp was cold). All throttle positions. Chased that one for a long time and it ended with AFM. Not the same symptoms as you (or car for at matter), but don't underestimate how confused the DME gets when the AFM lies to it! Mine was presumably underreporting air when that happened. Yours may be over reporting. Just a thought.
Good to know. I was planning on taking apart the AFM and adjusting the contact point anyway, maybe I'll do it now and have it over with.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:11 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Just went to check out my DME relay to rule that out as the culprit and I can't find the damn thing. PO must have moved it (the connector and relay are both nowhere to be found). Looks like tonight I will be laying upside down searching the bird's nest that is German wiring.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:52 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Found the DME relay behind all the other relays and above the mess of wires coming out of the panel. The relay looks to be very new, it probably got pushed out of the panel when the PO was trying to put in the new one. Onward to some AFM adjustment and vacuum troubleshooting.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:20 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Vacuum testing revealed major leaks at the dipstick tube and the throttle body, plus a few minor leaks at hose connections. My throttle body reseal kit is now on its way. Does anyone know the size of the dipstick tube o-ring? Shipping is several times the cost of the o-ring, so I'm hoping to just source it locally.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:26 PM
jg951
Instructor

Men, I got my TPS replace due to no start. This tread help get my car going. thanks

Quick Reply: Got stranded last night