Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery stall solved.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 05:13 AM
bader$
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Mystery stall solved.

Hey guys. I have been dealing with a stalling problem that only happened once in a while. At first it would happen only after driving a while, the gauges would go off, no indicator lights and no start. After a few seconds everything would come back on and off I go. The strange thing was every thing else would work, the radio, a/c fan, windows etc. I had posted here and on another forum and got many replies of dme relay, bad grounds, battery connection, all good answers but none of which were the problem.
It was getting progressively worse so I started looking at the wiring diagrams and determined that it could be circut 15 off the Ignition switch. So I ordered a switch and it set on my tool box for a couple of weeks, because It looked like a bear to get to without tearing down the column.
The day before yesterday it stalled 5 or 6 times in a three mile drive to go get lunch. So after work I replaced the switch using a Carburetor adjusting tool and since then every thing has been fine.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:23 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! I am so glad you fixed it. So, was it that bad of a circuit to replace?

- Julie
Old 07-16-2003, 06:25 AM
bader$
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, It was the electrical part of the Ignition switch held in by two screws on the back side of the column where the key goes in. It is at a strange angle but the tool i used is basically a cable in a tube that is angled at the end with a 1/4 inch square drive. I put a flat screw driver bit on it and was able to get it out without pulling the column apart. I have air bags and while I have pulled many apart I don't like to if it is not necessary.

Quick Reply: Mystery stall solved.