Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where can i buy aftermarket 944 exhaust/suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 06:28 PM
soundboy4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where can i buy aftermarket 944 exhaust/suspension

I've been looking online for a nice aftermarket muffler for my '88 NA, and a suspension kit as well. I'm having problems finding a set of four coilovers for the car though. I've had some luck but not much, i'd just hate to buy something only to find it cheaper somewhere else. I plan on autocrossing the car eventually.

Can any of you guys spare some links or places where i could purchase these? thanks
Old 07-15-2003, 07:25 PM
Mike951
Drifting

From what i've seen here, SFR is the exhaust of choice.
www.speedforceracing.com
Old 07-15-2003, 07:33 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Go with a GHL. I have one acould not be happier with quality and sound. They are ver expensive though. www.ghlmotorsports.com The coilover's try to go to KOKELEN, I think that is how the company name is spelled.. Not sure though.

Lead Foot 944
84 944...
Old 07-15-2003, 07:39 PM
924Superwagen
Burning Brakes

That's KOKELN at: http://www.kokeln.com
Old 07-15-2003, 08:05 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

http://www.performanceproducts.com/

They'll send you a free catalog, ask for the 944/968/914 one. It has everything you need at decent prices.
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2003, 09:57 PM
Sami951
Drifting

How about getting koni yellows with a coil over conversion for front, and then KLA coil-overs for the rear? That's probably the least expensive choice...

Konis are available for example through http://www.paragon-products.com and KLA is at http://www.klaindustries.net
Old 07-15-2003, 10:17 PM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just ordered the leda suspension setup and exhaust from speedforceracing .. I'll let you know how that turns out
Old 07-16-2003, 11:14 AM
soundboy4
Racer

I went to speedforceracing.com and that exhaust looks really nice. But aren't there any emmissions problems that i might run into trying to pass NC inspections after installing the catback?

I checked out ghlmotorsports.com but i don't see any 944 mufflers for sale there on the site... but i guess i'll give them a call.

i've already got about 10 of the performanceproducts catalogs, but haven't seen a coil-over kit on any one of them yet. that kokeln site is cool, but only sell parts taylored to 951s as opposed to my N/A? i'll give them a call too in case i'm missing something

Another question about the coilover kits, i've run into many sites, i'll use http://www.klaindustries.net/ as an example, that will sell ONLY a pair of front coilovers or ONLY a pair of rear coilovers. I'm having problems finding a kit for sale including a set of four. Is there any reason for this? Are there any concerns that would come up by just upgrading your front or just yoru rear suspension? Would it be unwise to to buy front coilovers from one company and rear coilovers from a different one?

thanks again for the help
Old 07-16-2003, 11:30 AM
siznycle_man
Intermediate

This may seem like a dumb question but all of these sites seem to only have headers for turbos. Can I run a turbo header on my 86 944 na? What are the differences in the exhausts on a turbo vs. a na?
Old 07-16-2003, 11:31 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just buy them from seperate places.

Honestly there are few suspension Kits for the 944. Just parts. You but the parts you want. Dampers & springs.

I have the front coilover kit on my race car from pargon. By class rules we cannot install rear coilovers. (mostly due to cost). It came with a threaded sleeve and collar. I picked the spring rate I wanted and I intstalled it on new Koni Yellows. Rear kits tend to be MUCH more expesive since you can use the stock shock. Remember also to pic the right spring rate and you may need to re index the torsion bars to get to the right ride height. Some guys can do this from the spring plate.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:31 AM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.morissdampers.com/

Call and ask about their Bilstein "cup" setup for 944's. Mine took a while to ship, but in the end it should be worth it.

I'll second SFR for exhausts. I have their whole testpipe/cat-back/straight pipe setup and its great. Again, prepare to wait a while for things to ship.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:34 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by siznycle_man
This may seem like a dumb question but all of these sites seem to only have headers for turbos. Can I run a turbo header on my 86 944 na? What are the differences in the exhausts on a turbo vs. a na?
Stock Porsche headers are quite good on the NA. I have not found one that increases power yet.

Turbo headers are different since they direct air to the turbo.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:13 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

the headers are the same fit i beleive, the difference is after the y-pipe. the only thing i have done exhaust wise is put 85.5 headers on my 84, and all that did was make a weight difference, the tube steel are MUCH lighter than the cast ones. people say these have a tendency to crack, but i fyour cars balance shafts and motor mounts are good then dont worry about it. as far as supsension goes, ask DAVE120 to send you a list of things that are on his brothers 84, as it is by far the best handling car i've driven. NO and i mean ZERO body roll, and rides just like stock. i beleive he has stock springs and tbars, with bilstein shocks and WELTMEISTER strut brace and sway bars all around. not to mention replica 16" by 7 and 8 fuchs. what a sweet ride. when i get my car set as far as everything else goes, his suspension is what i'm shooting for.

good luck
-Michael-
Old 07-16-2003, 06:57 PM
soundboy4
Racer

beleive he has stock springs and tbars, with bilstein shocks and WELTMEISTER strut brace and sway bars all around
what if i wanted to get new springs that would lower the car an inch to an inch and a half? i found an eibach pro-kit that does just that, but would lowering the car on stock shocks ruin the stock shocks or could they handle it?

the thing is i'm a somewhat broke college kid (only cuz i spend most of my money on my girl and my car) so i want to improve the car's handling without spending a grand or so on suspension upgrades. Could i get away with just buying these springs (would be about 200 bucks) or should i save up a while and go ahead with four shocks?

i'm still hoping someone knows a place where i can get a set of four coilovers for the 944 too, thanks
Old 07-16-2003, 09:02 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Totally go for the Speedforceracing cat-back! I dont think i could have asked for anything better short of an italian exotic! The exhaust sound on their 2.5" catback is awesome! I get two remarks wherever i am with my car...1- is that color original? (yes), and 2- thats the best sounding 944 ive ever heard! (yes it is!) You shouldnt have a problem with emissions if its just behind the cat. (muffler and tip) A word of caution though, i just finished 150 miles on a PCA rally the other day. Windows down and top off, and after all day driving i realized...i dont think i would want this exhaust on a daily driver. (ears were getting tired) Then again, my S2 is not a daily driver, and damn it sounds awesome! I can never go back! By the way, i have an S2 stock cat-back in great condition available if anyone is interested.

Quick Reply: where can i buy aftermarket 944 exhaust/suspension