Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

balance shaft tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 03:23 PM
teleloco9
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default balance shaft tensioner

i picked up an 85 944. my balance shaft tensioner is toasted, can i just replace just it, both belts are in great shape. do i have to realign the balance shaft to the timing? thanks in advance, i'm new to the porsche world, ex audi guy.....although i still have my 83 ur quattro
Old 10-12-2013, 03:38 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

get a new tensioner. Set timing to TDC and then align the balance shafts to their timing marks and adjust the tensioner - DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE BELT!!!. with engine running at idle, set tension so the belt is just below the tension that makes the tensioner whine. you will be surprised how loose it is.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:43 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The timing marks on the balance belt rollers can be misinterpreted. Read up on this on clark's garage before you jump into this. Setting the balance belt tension can be done by using the twist method. Twist the longest run by over 90 degrees (130 degrees will be best) and then you're there. If it whines a bit you can back it off a tic but don't be worried if it's only a slight whine.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:25 PM
teleloco9
AutoX

thanks for the input. i was gonna buy these tools unless i don't need to. i wanted to check the tension on the timing belt also. my audis were always 90 deg twist on longest run. my tdi is super tight though

http://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/sptofor94.html

ill def read the procedure on clarks. thanks for the help!
Old 10-12-2013, 06:39 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

To answer the question, technically no, you do not. However, you'll have a lot more room to work with if you take the belts off. This means setting the crank, bal shafts, and cam pulley to TDC. It's not a huge deal and will probably end up saving you time.

If you really just don't feel like messing with TDC, you can slack up the balance shaft belt and install the new tensioner, then tighten it back up. Obviously don't let the belt jump any teeth... you'll know as soon as you start the car
Old 10-13-2013, 01:36 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

actually, Michael, the symptom of a BALANCE shaft not properly synched isn't obvious to those who don't know how a 944 is supposed to feel - it shows up as extra vibration, much like a bad motor mount - I've found several that were off by multiple teeth. It won't hurt the car but it does make it less fun because of the annoying vibration.

For those new to 944, you can drive with the balance shaft belt not installed if you need to, it won't hurt anything. But don't try with the timing belt.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:35 PM
teleloco9
AutoX

when the tensioner went i felt it, almost felt like it was missing on a cylinder so i believe it jumped some teeth, when i got home i started it up again and the tensioner pulley totally spun off its mount and started making a very bad sound. i thought 4 a second it was the water pump pulley on timing belt and i toasted the valves....which is an audi thing. very relieved to see it was just the balance shaft.

is this symptomatic of wrong belt tension, too tight?

Quick Reply: balance shaft tensioner