Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

since we are talking about water pumps.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2001, 05:47 PM
fletch.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post since we are talking about water pumps.

Rebuilt water pumps for 944's have gotten a bad rap due to some very poor rebuilders in the past. A rebuilt anything is only as good as the builders.

Unless you buy a pump NEW from a dealer in a porsche box, you are not getting a NEW porsche pump. Look for porsche casting number and logo to see what I mean. Laso make a NEW reproduction not a new genuine porsche pump. The pumps currently on the market in the 165-200 range are Laso pumps. Laso is not the original builder for porsche, and although the pump is proven to be reliable and a quality product by anyones standards, it is not a factory porsche casting.

Rebuilds on the other hand, APC rebuilds to be specific only use factory castings. They enlarge the bearing to run cooler. and use top quality parts. Years ago Porsche NA had a parts program called euroselect, the program was a joke, but it did use local suppliers for many of the parts. This gave some rebuilders the parts and knowledge to build things correctly, and many continue to do the same quality and finish we expect from Porsche.

I prefer the quality rebuild pump because of the casting, it has the porsche logo and part number, this is not found on new aftermarket. Also casting thickness and consistence is as Porsche designed it.
Old 06-16-2001, 10:34 PM
Al Cody
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Sounds good to me. Just for future reference who markets the APC rebuilds? Its always good to know the quality suppliers. Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: since we are talking about water pumps.