Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaking waste gate??

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 09:59 AM
howie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post leaking waste gate??

When my car comes up on boost the waste gate makes a loud leaking noise. Do we think it just got loose or did it blow. Car makes about 2 pounds less boost now. If it needs replacement how is the linsey gate. Does it really bolt on and will it hold boost over 15 psi??
Thanks
Old 12-31-2001, 09:08 PM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howie,

I wouldn't say that you can hear a leaking wastegate...a bad wastegate will normally show symptoms of slow AND low boost. If your hear a loud air escape, then I would start looking at all of the vacuum lines in the cabin, and under the hood along with your intercooler pipe connections. Those can be very loud when they are leaking...by the way, don,t just LOOK at the connections, pull on them, exanmine them....believe me, they have been the fault of this many times over:-)

If you do indeed need to swap out your wastegate, you might want to take a look at our bolt on Tial kits, the entire kit, with bolt on adapter flanges is very easy on the wallet, and we have had nothing but great reviews of the setup. I have posted below one email from a customer of ours. I hope this helps!

"I take notes when my mechanic analyzes performance products. Mr. CharlesWorth raced F1 and has 3 '86 951's. If you could have been there after the TIAL/Wastegate upgrade you would have heard him say how awesome the bolt-on Tial dual port S.S. design is and how superior it is to stock and how it seats to the SFR custom flange like nothing he has seen, no boost leak. I have not asked him about Lindsey's bolt-on unit which i hear has satisfied plenty of folks and my friend too. Tom says Tial is best on the market and that the deltagate $250 and racegate $450 is nice concept but not the greatest on our cars. I told him I could not afford the B&B system or Fabspeed. Tom says he actually prefers the much less expensive SFR system! I don't think I need to tell folks on Rennlist about TurboTim and John's Anderson's customer service at SFR. Heck I paid normal price in Nov. and Tim called and says he is running a XMAS sale and credited my account for difference I paid in Nov. BTW I emailed Mike and Dave Lindsey about purchasing their wastegate and complete exhaust. They did not get my emails or their customer service needs attention."

Quick Reply: leaking waste gate??