Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road camber and alignment

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Road camber and alignment

So I put new struts and shocks on and had my alignment done. They got everything in spec but my front right spec has the caster just barely off. Now when I drive the drifts to the right like its following the camber, but it drifts just fast enough to make wonder if its the alignment being off or something else like the car being sensitive to road camber. The thing is if I cross to the wrong side of the road the car drifts to the left following that camber but doesn't ever pull back to the right. So I'm confused.

I thought maybe a brake was binding and causing it to pull, but when I brake it brakes straight. I checked my front wheel bearings and they seem good. I replaced my strut tops and there is no play in the front wheels while it's hanging in the air, so everything seems nice and tight.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:27 AM
Racerstev
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it's tramming, I'd take it back to the alignment shop and have
them give it a little more toe in. Mine likes it at the edge of the spec for toe
in up front.

Steve
Old 09-30-2013, 07:11 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Or, is the rear toe even? Meaning, does the rear of the car follow the front exactly? If the *total* rear toe is 1/2 degree, but one side is more than 1/4, and the other side is less than 1/4, it will go down the road like a plane landing in a cross-wind.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

The rear to is within spec and the thrust angle is "0".

However, I went over the front suspension again but this time I noticed the left spindle moved about 1/32" laterally in the ball joint. So I ordered a rebuild kit last night.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Ok I can't figure out what's going on. I took the lower control arms off last night and the ball joints feel fine when I move them with my hand. No play at all. But I could swear I saw lateral movement in the ball joint to spindle when I tugged on the wheel before I took everything apart. Maybe I can't apply enough force by hand To show wear IDK.

I also noted that the left caster bushing is old style and the right side is the updated style with less bushing. I've ordered two new updated styles and will be replacing the ball joints regardless.

Could the two different bushing types lead the car to drift?

Quick Reply: Road camber and alignment