Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

931 Radiator Flush

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2001, 01:44 PM
Mike Keogh
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 931 Radiator Flush

My 1980 931 runs hot so I am about to flush the system. I bought one of the Prestone flushing kits at Pepboys. I am supposed to install it in the intake heater hose. Can someone tell how to find that one? Also any other flushing tips would be appreciated.
Mike
Old 06-16-2001, 06:40 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts
I would rather drain the system, fill with fresh water and a bottle of the flush, and run it for a little bit, than cut open the hoses to use one of those kits. After all, how often do you flush the system?

I'd suggest also that you try replacing your rad cap, and make absolutely sure you have no leaks. The car should not run hot.
Old 06-17-2001, 05:01 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually had the same car you do over 10 years ago, but I forget exactly where the heater intake hose came off the block - probably is in the back by the firewall? Anyway, trace your's from the firewall to the block and it is going to have the heater control valve in the line so hard to miss.

Disconnect the hose from the block, take some hose measurements and run up to the hardware store and buy a few feet of correct hose size (get clear if you can so you can see what is going on), any cheap plastic step down adaptors you need, some clamps, etc. You are also going to need 4 feet of hose to put on the kit's snap in "L" gizmo that goes into the expansion tank so the flushed out fluid can be directed into a bucket and not get all over your paint and wiring. Used antifreeze can go down the toilet - I wouldn't let it run off onto the grass as it will probably kill it as well as any critters that drink it up because they like the sweet taste.

The object is to take a new hose off the block, connect to the kit's garden hose "T", then connect back to the car's heater hose you just removed from the engine block.

You want the heater turned wide open on hot for all the flushing and what not. I would get some of the flush chemical, too. Just follow the directions to flush out the old coolant via tap water into the "T" and out the "L" in the expansion tank, put in the flush chemical after the old stuff is out and run that for half an hour driving around, flush that out very good while running the engine, put everything back together as before, drain tap water and fill with new coolant. You don't want that flush "T" left on your car.

A little more complicated than Prestone describes but isn't bad.

[ 06-17-2001: Message edited by: Dan ]

Quick Reply: 931 Radiator Flush