Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey ribs, whatever happened to the All-Trac?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2001, 12:38 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Hey ribs, whatever happened to the All-Trac?

ribs,

What was the end result of your saga with the All-Trac? It is also good to hear that the 951 will be back on the road soon.

Eric(computer-illiterate)
Old 06-15-2001, 01:00 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, most everything was fixed (turbo was especially important), but one of the wheel bearings that the dealership supposedly replaced started to squeel and seperated (its not supposed to seperate...its a sealed bearing). When I took the hub, rotor and caliper off to investigate why my wheel has about an inch(!) of side to side play, the notched part of the bearing where the ***** roll on was stuck to the rotor and came off with it while the ***** were intact, but the metal castings that hold them in place were deteriorated and badly pitted, and there was NO grease in the bearing. I reassembled it, packed it with grease, and torqued on the bolt that holds the hub to the CV joing as best I could, but it came apart and I had my mechanic retorque it with airtools, and now it is at least stuck together and doesn't squeal because of the grease I packed in there, but it still makes a loud whooshing noise with every rotation.

I think they said they replaced the wheel bearings (and wrote it on the reciept) but just didn't do it. There was a castle washer missing from on top of the bolt that holds the CV joint to the hub that has a cotter pin that goes right through it to keep that bolt from coming loose, and I think the bolt came a little loose and let the bearing seperate.

Now I have to get the dealership to honor their parts and labor warranty, but the service manager is such a total ***** that I think he will give me a lot of trouble about it. I am going to call the regional office manager for the dealership chain and try to get him to take care of it for me (dealing with the service manager, jim).

That said, when the car works, it works well. It is "zippy", but not fast (0-60 time of 7.5 seconds could have a V8 jeep cheroke beat it in a straight line). It still pulls well over 100 though, which lets you know that it is a performance car. Its handling is great...lots of grip with fairly decent tires (215/50 15 dunlop sport sp 5000's all around), and its very predictable when it looses traction because it drives like a front wheel drive car most of the time (lots of push/understeer). Depending on the turn, you can get it to do an even drift or even very mild oversteer if you modulate the throttle correctly. Most of its front drive handling characteristics can be taken care of with suspension mods, because I think it has a 50/50 distribution of power front and rear, with a rear torsen LSD (same as supra turbo) and a central clutch plate LSD. You can not get the thing to peel out at all. If I had 100 more horsepower, I probably could though . I am probably going to sell it as soon as I get the wheel bearings fixed because I am probably going to go back to college in the fall which means quitting my current job and I will live on or near campus so I won't need 2 cars...I think the porsche will suit my college driving needs just fine . Gotta run and take lunch. Good hearing from you.

Quick Reply: Hey ribs, whatever happened to the All-Trac?