Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 10:32 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dash gremlins

My odometer and tack have need a tap on top of the dash to get going, and I've just lived with it so far, but tonite the left side lights went out so I pulled the dash.

First question - how do you get the lights out.

Second question - everything seemed tight when I unplugged the connection to the gauges and they seemed tight so I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Btw I read clarks info on the bulbs but it does tell how to get them out. I assume you twist, but which way? Or is there another way they come out?
Old 09-25-2013, 10:55 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Ok I got the lights out but everything looks fine. The filament is not broken. What now?
If I tap the dash to get the odo and tach to work where would I look or do? Again the connector was on good and not loose.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:10 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the lights may have developed a bad connection, just twisting would fix it - check with ohmmeter or apply 12VDC to be sure lights work. It can also be the dimmer acting up.

Speedo and tack become sticky with age, this is a mechanical issue, not electrical - you can take gauges apart, clean the pivots with suitable solvents and reassemble, or you can live with it.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:49 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

When you say "pivots" do you mean where the needle connect? And if so do I have to pull the needles?
Old 09-26-2013, 12:53 AM
Gawernator
Racer

Pulling the needles off is actually pretty easy, especially if you have delicate hands like I do haha. The trick is to make sure you are careful with the needle because the very thin metal will bend easily.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:35 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Do the needles loose position when taken off and then reapplied. Are any adjustments need like recalibrating the tach?
Old 09-26-2013, 01:41 AM
Gawernator
Racer

All I did was pop it back on... there is a mechanical catch you can feel.. be very delicate
Old 09-26-2013, 02:21 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

pull the needle, unscrew face, unscrew bearing bracket, remove the meter movement (carefully), clean the shaft, clean the bearings, reassemble. I don't think they are lubed in any way, that would just attract dust and get sticky.

meter pointer goes onto a splined shaft, or onto the thin movement shaft - just align with zero when at rest and gently press on.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

So last night I traced the power lines in the electrical sheet and what it looks like to my untrained electrical eye is the lights are daisy chained together with what I assume I power lead and the common lead with off shoot of other branches that go to other components in the dash - though I may have power and common flip flopped.

My issue is the far right light works (and maybe the middle light, not sure on that one), the one closest to the pin connector, but the far left light doesn't work. However all the gauges work. So I'm guessing I have one of three situations: 1 - the light simply needs replacing, though my ohm meter reads the same on the known working light and the suspected non working light, 2 - the light simply needs twisting to make a connection like a previous poster suggested, or 3 - there is a break most likely in an electrical route causing the light to fail. However I cannot find a break anywhere. In fact the pin connectors and the electrical sheet look brand new other than the fact that little circular pieces of paper which cover some holes have come off or look wrinkled where they are attached.

If it turns out to be number 3 (broken circuit) where can one get that replaced?

Quick Reply: Dash gremlins