Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys are not going to believe this...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 11:20 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Post You guys are not going to believe this...

You remember a while back when I had the leak in the radiator?

Well, I bought a used one from a fell rennlister, and when I was taking the thermostat out to put it in the new (used) one, it came out WAY to easily. Let me be more clear...

I THINK MY LEAK WAS BECAUSE MY THERMOSTAT WASN'T SCREWED IN TIGHT!

Yeah, so we are putting the old one back in, and we're going to pressure test it and see if that is the case. I have to wait until tomorrow though, because my dad stripped one of the clamps because he got in the compressor power tool mode and wouldn't let me do it by hand. Ha.

Anyway, I'm hoping it works fine, but I will definately feel really silly if that's the issue.

Just thought I'd share.

-Matt
Old 01-27-2002, 01:45 AM
Es3L
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote] I have to wait until tomorrow though, because my dad stripped one of the clamps because he got in the compressor power tool mode and wouldn't let me do it by hand <hr></blockquote>

sounds just like my dad,
Old 01-27-2002, 02:00 AM
Super Dave
Pro

Matt
Does this mean you might have a used rad. for sale? I need one but would need to find out if the one you have fits my 85-1/2.
I will have to check on Monday. A add in Excellence says 83 thru 89 is the same price but does not say if it is the same.

David M
85-1/2 944
Old 01-27-2002, 04:39 AM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

OT

matt- that wheel is 150% better - what an improvement! got the horn to work ('hi tec auto' down the street from 's-car-go racing' had some spare palstic things cuz that's what it needed - damn is it sensitive now - i seem to honk at everyone :-/ ) ... i also noticed that the steering column is loose near the floorboard. hmmmm...

d.
Old 01-27-2002, 08:40 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Deni,

Glad to hear. I didn't think it was the horn's fault, I thought it was my car. Glad I was right. Are you going to get it releathered?

Loose steering column near the floor board? Man, may want to get that checked out.

And yes, I may have a used radiator for sale - I'll let you know when/if I do.

Take care,
Matt
Old 01-27-2002, 10:21 AM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Matt, not that it actually matters, but it sounds like you may have a slight nomenclature issue here .
(And yeah, I'm just being picky here...)

The "thermostat" does not screw into the radiator; that's probably a temp sensor / switch you're looking at. The thermostat is in the neck of the water pump (end of big hose, right side, under distributor cap), lurking behind the &%#*ing snap ring.... doesn't screw in, tho' words involving things related to threads may come to mind when working on it.

Jim, "Go, Pirates!!"

Quick Reply: You guys are not going to believe this...