Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need the Slave or Master replaced. How $$$

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 11:15 AM
Mouse.
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need the Slave or Master replaced. How $$$

Good Morning everybody I hope your weekend went well. Quick question for you, I need to get either my Slave or Master replaced. Clutch pedal will sometimes go to the floor but I can bring it up with my foot and the clutch seems to be OK but sooner or later it goes to the floor again. Im thinking I have a seal failure in my slave. (I really dont know for sure but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.)
Anyhoo.......It needs to fixed which means I need to call the wife and tell her how much. Anybody want to make that call for me???? So if you could.....can I please get a rought est. on how much so I can let that penny pinching wife of mine know how much.
I would do it myself but hell I have problems changing spark plugs.
Thanx!!
Mouse
83 944
Old 06-11-2001, 01:47 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Before you buy/replace anything... have the brakes and clutch bled. If there's air in the line you can experience the "stuck pedal". You can do this yourself with her help. Let us know if you want to try this and we'll provide the procedure. Not hard, but, not fun either.

That said, it's entirely possible your master cylinder is worn and needs replacement. Figure ~2 hours labor and ~$55 for the part, then throw in some more for fluid. All told, should be under $200. If the slave is bad also (though less likely considering your diagnosis) then through in another ~$40 and 1/2 hour labor.

I'd try bleeding first.

Good Luck!

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: Skip ]
Old 06-11-2001, 03:16 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mouse: Make sure you replace both the master and slave at the same time. Other wise the other one will fail within the year.

It is super simple to replace the slave cylinder. The master cylinder is a bit harder.

$96 for both from paragon-products.com
$132 for both from pelicanpars.com
Old 06-11-2001, 06:23 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

I recently went through this excersise. I took my about 9 hours because every blasted connection was a mother to break and some of the bolts were very difficult for me to reach. The master cylinder was particullry hard for me to remove and to replace. Got all the parts from Paragon.

I also got the tube that connects the master to the slave. Thetube cost me about $18.00, but the one for the turbo is much more because it shaped different (over $100). Not sure of the cost for an N/A. Its a good thing I got the hose because I was not able to get it loose from the master cylinder - made removing the master cylinder a very trying and time consuming experince.

You will also need a preassure bleeder for those that are going to do the job themself. Paragon sells those as well.

Michael Stephenson
1989 944S2

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: Michael Stephenson ]

Quick Reply: Need the Slave or Master replaced. How $$$